How can I stop seeing epics from other projects?

stucampbell July 15, 2020

Is there a way to filter out certain projects so that you don't see their epics in Epic Link?

6 answers

13 votes
Jeff June 9, 2021

As a digital agency with a large client portfolio, this "cross-contamination" for us undermines our customers' confidence in privacy and security.  At a minimum, there should be a configurable option to constrain epics to the current project.

I understand that other Jira customers have a need to show epics from more than a single project, but that should be OUR choice - not YOURS.  Please add my support to this request.

3 votes
Deleted user January 4, 2021

THIS IS RIDICULOUS. Why would I want to see epics from other projects?? At least gray them out/make them non-selectable excepting the applicable project. This is stunningly obvious and it is beyond the beyond that this has been an issue for pushing a decade and Atlassian has done nothing about it. 

agtim February 26, 2021

I can't think of any reason at all you'd want to see epics across projects. Those issues that @Petter Gonçalves links to above are from 2012 and 2014!!

Like Yehenie Wickramaratne likes this
Usman Younas August 8, 2021

Sometimes I feel like the people at Atlassian don't use Jira to build Jira, otherwise they'd know of all these annoyances.

Like # people like this
agtim August 9, 2021

I guess it would be fine if your only project in Jira was Jira ;)

Like Usman Younas likes this
2 votes
Bill Horvath July 17, 2023

This is a substantial impediment for the product side of our organization, since we require the designation of an epic when creating an issue that's child-like, such as a user story or task. It's also arguably a security issue, since users without privileges in other projects can suddenly see that a) they exist, and b) what epics they contain. When will this be fixed?

0 votes
fabian January 4, 2024

Agree, there should be an option to hide Epics from other Projects.

0 votes
Alan Fitzgerald December 4, 2023

It's crazy that these can't be filtered out...my project has a dozen epics and this thing is trying query thousands from other projects...

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 16, 2020

Hello @stucampbell

Thank you for reaching out.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to restrict the Epics displayed in the "Epic link" field by projects in Jira application.

We have the following feature requests created to get this option implemented:

Improve or limit suggestions to a set of projects when linking issues to Epics

List of Epics may get very long, we would like to see some filtering capability 

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Sebastiaan Naafs - van Dijk January 12, 2022

Upvoted both issues, this is rather annoying, I agree, not run into it before, but now we're at a company using several boards and projects and we see general epics everywhere, not only "our own". That's rather confusing and seems like some sort of cross-contamination...

Like # people like this
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 13, 2022

Hello @Sebastiaan Naafs - van Dijk

I understand your frustration regarding the lack of this functionality.

As a matter of fact, I would like to let you know that our development team has done a few improvements to the Epic drop-down list, based on the feedback provided by the customers.

Now, the Epic drop-down list follows the order of displaying below, from top to bottom:

1. All the Epics in the same project as the child issue
  2. All the Epics in other projects, following alphanumeric order

Additionally, there is also a flag button to display/hide done Epics:

Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 16.04.53.png

I hope this information helps your team to easily identify and select the correct epics.

Vathenbala BALASUBRAMANIAM February 18, 2022

Hi @Petter Gonçalves,

This is an interesting improvement but still not enough.

Why should we see epics from other projects.... can't you add a flag button to "show all epics" for people requiring this feature and hide them by default ?

Thanks

Like # people like this
Antonius Golly October 5, 2022

I understand your frustration regarding the lack of this functionality.

I like that Atlassian support is trained to handle our feelings...

Like Vlad Schnakovszki likes this
Matthew Diamond April 12, 2023

Just bumping this and have added my votes to the feature requests. 

This is very much needed, we're moving from development each 2-3 years and see so much redundant epics in our drop-down. 

I

Like Vlad Schnakovszki likes this
Javier Pérez Sedano June 28, 2023

Hi, INMHO is very important to don't see epics or tags from another project, it's very frustrating because I've my how team and my own Project and I've a chaos of epics and tags because of another team with their project.

Like Yehenie Wickramaratne likes this
David Holshouser August 4, 2023

But checking the "Show Done Epics" doesn't really work. That checkbox pins on the Epic Status=Mark as Done of the Epic but you can't automate that an Epic get marked as done in any transition Post Function. The measure of being done in the rest of Jira is based on the Workflow Status Category. That's so messed up.

When an issue is in a Workflow Status that has Category = Done, the rest of Jira marks it as complete and scratches through the text of the KEY-### link. Velocity, Sprint Report Story Points are calculated based on Workflow Status Category but issues may be assigned a Resolution that isn't "Done." Epic Status has nothing to do with the rest of Jira and we no control over automating this by Epic workflow state.

Basically, Jira uses Epic Status, Resolution, and Workflow Status to mean the same thing but checks them inconsistently and it breaks on this point.

Suggest an answer