How can I retrieve info from the user story's Parent Deliverable for a dashboard?

Adelson Smania May 22, 2023

Hi,

I'm building a Jira Dashboard and I want to show how many story points we're spending per application. The issue is that Story Points are associated to the User Story, and the Impacted Application is associated to the task's Parent Deliverable.

Is there a way to "join" that information coming from different levels?

To be more explicit:

• US-01 is 3 story points;
  • US-01's Parent Deliverable is PD-01;
  • PD-01's Impacted Application is AP-01;
  • In the dashboard, I want to show that we've spent 3 story points for Application AP-01.

Thanks,

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2023

Hi @Adelson Smania

Welcome to the community!

Unfortunately, out of the box this is not possible.  You will have to look into 3rd party plugins such as Structure which can sumup and displays the stories on various levels.  Here is an example: https://wiki.almworks.com/display/structure056/Using+Effectors+to+Add+Story+Points+for+Epics

There may be other plugins that will allow you to accomplish.  

Regards,

Fabian

Adelson Smania May 23, 2023

Thanks for the warm welcome and for the prompt response, @Fabian Lim! I was hoping there was an out of the solution, but I'll take a look at the plugin you'mentioned.

Kind regards,

Adelson

3 votes
Danut M _StonikByte_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2023

Hi @Adelson Smania,

This might be possible with our Great Gadgets app.  With the Issue Filter Formula and the Advanced Issue Filter Formula gadgets you can calculate and display the result of math formulas (SUM, COUNT, AVERAGE, etc) against field of issues from Jira filters. 

For this particular case, you could create a filter that returns all the stories with parent delivery PD-01:

"Parent Delivery = PD-01"

Then, configure the gadget to use the filter and make SUM of Story Points.

Then configure it to displayed result as being for impacted application AP-01. 

Do the same for other apps, and in the end you will have something like this:

image.pngThis app offers many other gadgets that you will find useful. 

If you have questions, don't hesitate to contact us at support@stonikbyte.com.

Thank you,

Danut Manda

Adelson Smania May 23, 2023

Thanks for the details on the solution, @Danut M _StonikByte_ ! I'll give it a try.

Adelson

Like Danut M _StonikByte_ likes this

Suggest an answer