How can I import into a custom checkbox field from CSV?

Jessica Zeckel September 17, 2019

I'm trying to create issues by import from CSV.  One of the fields I am importing into a custom field defined as type checkbox (only single checkbox, not a multiline drop down).  I keep getting errors like "The value [ {null=(whatever value I had)} ] can't be added to the Custom Field [ field ]. The value [ {null=(whatever value I had)} ] can't be found or is in the incorrect format".

I've tried with mapping to "Yes" and "No", "1" and "0", "TRUE" and "FALSE", "T" and "F", but I can't figure out what the right value is to use to be able to set this checkbox to checked or not.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jessica Zeckel September 17, 2019

Solved my own problem.  The value has to either be null or it has to be set to the specific string that was used in the definition of the custom field.

Venkat_S April 17, 2020

Hello Jessica,

I am facing exactly the same problem.

I have the custom field name as the Column header and the checkbox options as the first value in the column.

I want the importer to tick one of the checkbox options which is not happening.

If the string given in the CSV is not configured as an option for the custom field, then the importer creates a new option.

But my requirement is the importer should tick one of the configured options.

Did you solve this problem ?

Thanks,

Venkat

Venkat_S April 19, 2020

Hi, The answer is "This cannot be done via CSV import"

Here is the reply from Okapya:

While it is technically possible to import from a CSV file, Jira wrongfully assumes that our custom field is a standard Checkbox. It will then process every checklist item and convert them into global items (options) which end impacting every issues in the project. This then requires a lengthy clean-up process. So, we strongly discourage trying to import Checklists from a CSV file.

We have looked at augmenting the import process with our own logic but Atlassian didn’t make their importer extensible. We have in our backlog a story to investigate other means of achieving this. I have linked it to your request so that we can let you know if we ever find a way to do it.

Suggest an answer