How can I have a custom field display a URL from Aha and have that URL clickable

Tony Gregory August 3, 2021

I created a custom field to display URLs from Aha - so this way if someone has to toggle back and forth between the two system they can simply click a link.

The URL displays but solely as static text, I want it to display as a clickable link.  Any idea how I can adjust the custom field so it does this?

Many thanks,

Tony

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2021

Hi @Tony Gregory  URL is always clickable. If you use URL custom field it would be great. 

If you are using Team-Managed Project , then i suggest you to use "Short Text" field. Text field also allow you click on URL and site open on next page.

Please be sure url must contain domain  like .com , .io ( for aha), .uk, .in etc...If you add domain JIRA automaticaly treat it as URL and open in new tab.

Thanks

Vikrant Yadav

Hi @Vikrant Yadav it's actually a company managed project and I already have the custom fields as a short text.  The URLs coming from a-ha are https://[companyname].aha.io/features/[AhaID] (what's in brackets are generated by aha)

Any suggestions?

Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2021

Hi @Tony Gregory  URL is fine. It should be clickable and open web page in new tab. 

I have tested on Text Field ( sigle line) , it's working. JIRA detecting the URL. 

If it's a multiline field , then it won't work. otherwise it works for Single Line text field and URL field. 

Text field.PNGURL field.PNG

Like Lucia Valenzise likes this
Tony Gregory August 6, 2021

That was it - thanks again!

Like Vikrant Yadav likes this
Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2021

Cool, Glad to hear it works for you :)

Happy Weekend!

Rafa March 8, 2024

Beware, these Text field (single line) fields are not clickable when viewing an issue from the App, only from the web browser (yet another inconsistency in Jira-land).

(maybe the URL fields are clickable on the App, haven't tried)

0 votes
Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 3, 2021

Hi @Tony Gregory ,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I am assuming you are using Company Managed Project. If you use an URL Field then you can use valid URL to complete this custom field, please check this guide  - https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/custom-fields-types-in-company-managed-projects-972327807.html.

I am sharing a screenshot for reference.

Custom URL Field.png

HI @Suvradip Paul

Thanks for the response.  I had tried using the URL field before and the issue with using that is, the field is being dynamically populated from Aha into Jira - and I don't want the user to be able to type into or edit that field in any way.

Any other suggestions?

Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 3, 2021

Hi @Tony Gregory  Remove field from Edit Screen, if you don't want to edit this field. 

Thanks

V.Y

Melissa April 17, 2023

Hello @vik 

Is there a way to have "Link Text" and "Link" in a custom field?

We want the links in our Jira's since web links are not exportable or viewable in a filter.

My uses will have links from a SP Directory and the links will be long, we would like to display for example " Document 123" but the link can be the long (ugly) link.

Like John Pisani likes this
John Pisani April 26, 2023

I've achieved this previously in Jira Server with the help of ScriptRunner to take a one field's input (short ID values) on the Create / Edit screens and then inject predictable URLs around the variable query parameter to render them as nice links in View screens. 

I came here hoping there was a more elegant solution for Jira Cloud. Hoping to hear back too. 

Melissa April 26, 2023

@John Pisani 

Thank you for sharing your solution. I'm a front end user but I'll pass this along. 

Suggest an answer