How can I delete an attachment in a JIRA ticket I created?

Suzy Gooch September 9, 2019

I created a JIRA ticket, added some attachments which are now out of date.

I'd like to delete the attachments but don't know how to do that.

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2019

Hi @Suzy Gooch ,

In order to delete an attachment,

• Move your mouse pointer over the attachment file in your Jira issue.
  • You will be able to see a delete icon.
  • Click on that icon to delete the attachment.
  • Refer to the below screenshot for more clarification.
  • delete-attachment.png
Christopher_Brox April 29, 2021

@Deepanshu Natani It appears this solution does not work when an attachment is added in a comment. Is there a solution for deleting an attachment from a comment in the attachments pane is does one have to go to the comments to delete it. This was possible in the previous "old view".

Like # people like this
Jan March 14, 2023

@Christopher_Brox 
I agree, the solution doesnt seem to work.
Yes, you can edit a comment and then delete the attachement. However this doesnt delete the attachement from the ticket, and no way to delete it.

Trisha Colotto May 12, 2023

@Deepanshu Natani  I also agree I followed the instructions above and not delete icon shows.  Any other workaround?  Please :-)  

1 vote
Marianne Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2019

Deepanshu and Cody have the answer.  You can easily delete attachments from the UI.  if you can't see the functionality, it may be a permissions things and you need to talk to your admins.  You should probably have delete attachments across issues/stories, not just items you created.  Things change and ownership/responsibility shifts, so you should have access to anything you're working on.

One technique to streamline this is instead of a lot of static attachments, you can provide a link to a working document (google doc, confluence, etc) that is always up-to-date.  Makes it a lot easier and requirements are easier to manage.

Christopher_Brox April 28, 2021

This is strange. I am running into an issue with the new Jira where I added an attachment and am unable to see a "x" to delete it.

Like # people like this
Eric Zemke July 20, 2021

I was having a similar issue because I had a padlock on the attachment.  However the attachment did go away when I deleted the comment that the attachment 'lived in'

joseph_brown July 13, 2022

This issue has repeatedly frustrated me and is quite non-intuitive: what is the motivation behind allowing a user to attach something to a ticket, and then forbid them from deleting said attachment?

Like # people like this
0 votes
Paul Pinkney April 20, 2022

The trashcan icon has reappeared.  No idea what had happened.  I guess it was just a glitch.

Mario Benedí Plana November 7, 2022

It seems to be dissapeared again... We can't delete now the attachments if they are in the the comments.

Screenshot_206.png

0 votes
Cody Stevens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2019

Hey @Suzy Gooch

All you have to do is hover over the attachment. If you are in the old issue view it will have a trashcan in the bottom right corner. If you are in the new issue view, it will be an X in the bottom right corner.

If that option is not there, that means you do not have the appropriate permissions to delete attachments. If you are a Jira Admin, you can edit the permission scheme to make sure they are set up correctly. Otherwise, you will need to contact an admin to either have them delete the attachments or to grant you the permission.

Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 9.24.54 AM.png

Srikanth Mamidala September 16, 2021

hi @Cody Stevens 

I am having same issue. I am a jira admin and I cannot see the delete button on the attachment when I hoover around. I also checked permission scheme which says attachments (delete all) option is setup for project admin role. I have added myself to the project admin role and still cannot see the delete option. 

Please advise. If I am missing anything. We are using jira cloud. 

Krzysztof Tomicz September 27, 2021

@Srikanth Mamidala there is definitely a bug involving attachments & new issue view. Add ?oldIssueView=true in the address bar and you'll be able to do the requested action.

Like Joshua Carter likes this
Joshua Carter January 28, 2022

Can confirm that there is a bug, adding `&oldIssueView=true` to the URL resolved the issue for me and I was able to delete the attachment. Thanks @Krzysztof Tomicz

paulpinkney April 11, 2022

Same issue. The trashcan icon is no longer available.  Selecting the attachment now brings up a list of everything in the file, in this case, inside a zip file.

It's my attachment, so I know it's not a permission problem.  I've been able to delete attachments for years, so it's not a feature I couldn't use before.

Sloanconnect April 20, 2022

I noticed when a person responded to a Jira email it added the unwanted .png files without the trash can,  files we had assigned / uploaded have the trachcan when hovering over, so same dilemma on how to delete these

Glenn 

Suggest an answer