How can I create multi select dropdown list

eirikurg January 17, 2020

How can I create a multi select dropdown list in Next-gen project. I want to simulate components functionality. 

4 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2020

Hi @eirikurg

@Thomas B is right, there is no multi-select field in Next-Gen yet - options you can try are:

• Checkboxes
  • Labels - this is a custom field, with no pre-set options
  • Dropdown - this is a single-select dropdown field

As stated above, to add custom fields in Next-Gen projects:

1. Go to your Project > Project Settings > Issue Types
  2. Choose the Issue Type you wish to add the field to
  3. Choose the field from the right-hand menu and customise it

If you wish to request a field to be added - vote and add a comment in this suggestion - JSWCLOUD-18544.

Ste

SpringServe Support March 5, 2021

lame

Like # people like this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas B
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2020

@eirikurg - you can see this link here for more info otherwise I outlined the steps from our system! : https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/configuring-a-custom-field-776636423.html

For Server

1. Admin > Custom Fields > Add custom field
  2. Choose "Select List (multiple choices)"
  3. Give it a Name
  4. Give it whatever options you want users to select
  5. Associate that field with your project

For Cloud - looks like you make need to use Checkbox options because NextGen doesn't support custom fields or multi select drop downs.

2. Drag in the Checkbox option from the right panel
  3. Give it a name and some options!

This configuration may be different for server vs cloud. Please let me know if you are on cloud or server. Hope this helps, thanks!

eirikurg January 17, 2020

Im using jira in the cloud. And this question is related to Next-gen project

Thomas B
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2020

Here you go: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/customize-an-issue-s-fields-in-next-gen-projects-951392551.html

2. Drag in the Checkbox option, I don't believe Next-gen supports custom fields...
Like Yuriy Lozhkin likes this
Will Seay July 30, 2020

Hopefully Atlassian will add the multi-select dropdown to nextgen cloud.  The Checkbox type somewhat works but the issue there is when you have a long list (of application or services for example) doing this in checkbox format takes up a lot of screen space to display all the checkbox options at once.  As opposed to a tidier dropdown select that allows them to easily search and add multiple items to the field.

The classic version of the cloud service desk does allow multiple selections within a dropdown menu (I just changed over from it and now many of my forms aren't working as intended).

Like Cristian Macari likes this
0 votes
Vladimir Iliashchenko
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 26, 2024

There is a way to do it now. You can create multi-select field in organization-wide issue settings and reuse that field in JWM.

Sean Harrop March 8, 2024

Good idea. I'll give this a shot

0 votes
eirikurg January 19, 2020

The things I was trying to do was to hard to do in next-gen project so I gave up and did it in classic

Suggest an answer