How can I close a project?

Luzius Meisser February 25, 2020

A project is defined as a temporary endeavor with a well-defined start and an end. So, naturally, I expect projects in Jira to follow that definition and to provide a way to signal that they ended. Where can I find such a feature?

In case that feature actually does not exist, calling these open-ended collections of related tasks "projects" seems very misleading to my and I would suggest to stop calling them "projects". A more fitting name would then be "open-ended task collection".

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2020

Yes unfortunately it's confusing terminology.  A project in Jira is exactly as you have said, a collection of issues or a team area.  It would be better if renamed, however it seems we're stuck with it.

There is no way to 'close' a project, if they really aren't needed any more I usually remove all user access apart from Jira admins.

However, I would suggest you keep the project open, and track actual project work using the Releases functionality.  Then the same project can be reused for future work.

The only real reason to have separate projects is if they need separate issue types, workflows etc.

3 votes
Zoryana Bohutska _SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 25, 2020

Hi @Luzius Meisser 

"Jira hasn't a function for "closing" a project. To hide the project without deleting it, you can follow the steps outlined on this page (see section How to hide (or archive) a project)."

Regards

Gaurav Sharma September 19, 2022

@Zoryana Bohutska _SaaSJet_  This link is not working, can you help sharing an updated one ?

Lucy Warner_SaaSJet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2022

Hello @Gaurav Sharma 

I guess, @Zoryana Bohutska_SaaSJet_ means this page:  https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/defining-a-project-938847066.html So, please, follow the link.

I hope it helps

Suggest an answer