How can I change the user email address in Jira

Navid Yousefi January 9, 2020

Hi All,

I have site admin access and I want to change the email address for the user who left the company and I don't want to remove the user.

the reason I want to do this I have a new user with the same email address and want to change the old user email.

I tried the user details and couldn't be able to change the email.

is there any way to change the email address?

Thanks for your answers.

NY

6 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Navid Yousefi January 10, 2020

Finally, I found how to change the user email.

1. Open your Atlassian Administration

2. Click on your Organization Name (NOT Company site)

3. Click on Directory

4. Click on Managed Accounts

5. Do search for user name and Do what you want to change. Such as Email address or Name.

Thanks.

NY

David Lo
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 31, 2020

@Navid Yousefi 

I click on our Organization Name but I don't see the "Directory". It takes me to the Atlassian Admin/Users page, which doesn't allow changing email addresses.

Is there a link you can provide to Directory?

Like # people like this
Navid Yousefi July 31, 2020

Hi David,

There is Directory in the new face of the Atlassian on top menu.

you can click on the directory and next steps....

Regards,

NY

milan_shah November 24, 2021

seems like this only works if your users are "managed", ie domain verfied, etc

Like # people like this
2 votes
Cassandra Myer October 8, 2021

Well, today I think what happens to Cloud version, is you go to the user's Account details, and then it will list the user and their email, and there is a Suggest Changes button. You can enter the new email address and "they" will email a link for the user to approve??? 

I just tried that. Won't know until next week if that worked due to the time delay with India. 

Navid Yousefi October 12, 2021

let us know here if it works for you :-)

1 vote
Randy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2020

You cannot.

What could work is to have the new person do a password recovery on the old account and change it.  Then they'll be able to create a new account with the email.

I don't have access to the mail of the old user.

and I tried to reset the password but didnt go to the new email address.

Randy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2020

You said the new user has the same email address.  Even though you dont have access, does the new user have access to the email address?  

Yes but we removed the old users in our AD and create the new user.

I tried to reset the old user password but it didnt receive on the new user mailbox.

Randy
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2020

Doesnt matter.  If you are receiving email at oldusername@example.com, and the old atlassian account is tied to oldusername@example.com, you should be able to recover the email with it.  

If the recovery link isnt getting to the email, open a ticket with atlassian support and have them check the email outbound server for the instance.  What happens is if a mailbox throws errors, the outbound smtp service will flag the email as invalid and block further emails/notifications to it.

If there was a period where the mailbox went inactive, then it's very likely the emails are being blocked on outbound by atlassian.

ok, I will try to contact Atlassian.

0 votes
Rohan Mehta
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 27, 2022

Hi,

Can anyone guide me on below mentioned concerns:

1. Our older domain have been closed and currently not able to access jira.

2. If problem continues, then how to take the data backup of the projects ?

3. Is there any option to bulk upload / change new email id with older one ?

Your early support will be highly appreciated.

Best Regards,

0 votes
Ansar Rezaei
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2020

Hi Navid

I think You should go to https://id.atlassian.com/manage-profile/email and change the email address of the Atlassian account for that user.

Hi Ansar Jan,

I tried this link and it is going to my email address... 

I don't have the password of the old user and if I reset it the reset link is not received on the new user mailbox.

Ansar Rezaei
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2020

Hi Navid

If Atlassian account is still active and you have access to your mailbox you should get reset link, maybe you should check your spam folder also.

I checked the spam folder and there is noting from Atlassian.

Atlassian account was not active, I activate the account then I reset the pass but nothing received.

Let me explain it better.

I have xname user in Atlassian which is register with xname@company.com in Atlassian.

this user left the company and then we removed the user in AD. which is the mailbox removed!

secondly, the new user comes to the company with xxname, and we create the user in ad with the email address xname@company.com.

then I realize this account or email was registered in Atlassian...

Now, what I am trying to do, I want to change the old user email from xname@company.com to x1name@company.com and then invite the new user with xname@company.com to the Atlassian.

hope this example is clear.

Matt Rouse
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 21, 2020

This is the stupidest things I think I've ever seen in any managed software platform in my life. Put an edit button on the email address like there used to be. Problem solved for hundreds of your users. 

Like # people like this
Cassandra Myer October 8, 2021

what??? you expect a user-friendly and intuitive interface from Atlassian? 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer