Hot to enter Projekt Keys using numbers not letters only?

Andreas Reymann August 2, 2011

Please let me know how I can setup a project key like LGIT-2011-418. Currently it seems to be only allowed to use upper case letters. I know from other customers that they are using key including letters and numbers.

This is important since I would like to enter a reference here.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best regards,

Andreas Reymann

2 answers

2 votes
Martin Cooper
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2011

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Project+Keys

Should show you how to achieve this - note it is not recommended to change if you use Greenhopper

Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2012

can you provide any information about what might go "wrong" if you make a change and you're using greenhopper? I just want to allow numbers in the project key, so I'd use the regex provided in the documentation: ([A-Z][A-Z0-9]+)

In a VERY quick test on a sandbox machine, greenhopper seems OK with this project key, but if you have any specifics about what might not work that'd be helpful. Thanks!

Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2012

We have this modified on our systems and use GH all the time. I haven't seen any issues with it but would be curious what others have seen too

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2011

You can't. You can allow numbers and other characters, but a format like LGIT-2011-418 is not valid - you can't safely use the character "-" as part of the project key.

Martin's advice is completely correct, but I'd like to add that you really should not change the format to include anything that might be a control character. The regular expression actually lets you put in -, ? and & for example, but they all break things. I wouldn't allow anything more complex than (<tt>[A-Z][A-Z0-9]+</tt>) (First character A-Z, the rest A-Z,0-9)

Martin Cooper
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 2, 2011

Fully support all that Nic says here. The wiki page does outline that the 'dash' character should not be used, amongst others. So should enable you to make an informed decision.

Suggest an answer