Ho to calculate the due date field based on original estimate and start date field values

Charan goud March 23, 2021

Hi Team,

How to set the due date automatically when issue field values set to start date and original estimate that time duedate field set to Startdate + Original estimate.

I have done as below for the issue transitioned from open to in progress

Step1:

Open to In progress 

Open to inprogress.PNG

here trackingdate is

tracking due date.PNG

{{#=}}{{issue.timetracking.originalEstimateSeconds}} / (60 * 60 * 8){{/}}

here due date is

due date.PNG

{{issue.Start date.plusBusinessDays(Trackingduedate.asNumber).jiraDate}}

But there is no change in the due date and the rule is executing successfully.

Please let me know the reason for this

Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2021

Hi @Charan goud 

At this time, created variables cannot be used in functions, and so the Due Date remains unchanged.  Please see/watch this backlog item for details: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-75659

As a work-around, I suggest doing the math in one step to set to the created variable, and then assign that to Due Date in the edit.

Best regards,

Bill

Charan goud March 24, 2021

Hi @Bill Sheboy ,

Thanks for your support and got clarified this query.

Please let me know how can we add the original estimate field + Start date using the math function.

Is it possible to add both these fields using math expression?

Thanks.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2021

Hi @Charan goud 

I was suggesting to do all your math together when you try to set Due Date:

{{issue.Start date.plusBusinessDays(issue.timetracking.originalEstimateSeconds.divide(28800))}}
Like # people like this
1 vote
Zoryana Bohutska _SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 24, 2021

Hi @Charan goud 

Also, if your team has something like a service-level agreement (SLA) for time KPI, you can try to set SLA Timer using JSM (for support tickets) or one of the apps from Atlassian marketplace (for Jira Software or Jira Core issues).

The tool for the SLA timer will give the target date in the issue custom field based on your individual criteria.

For example, you expect the ToDo-Done flow to be completed in 2 days.
Then, once the issue got ToDo status, the system will calculate the expected date of delivery as today + 2days\

Then according to the target-date, you can choose an automation rule to set the due date. 

This solution is not easy but can help.

Regards

Charan goud March 24, 2021

Hi @Zoryana Bohutska _SaaSJet_ ,

Thanks for your support.

We want to add the original estimate time to the start date only. Then we can set the due date automatically when we set the start date and original estimate.

I don't want to add the present date(Now+2days).

Is there any chance to set the date as per the above-mentioend criteria?

Thanks.

Jennifer Baum November 1, 2022

@Bill Sheboy I have tried this and it is setting the due date same as the start date.  Here is my automation workflow: jiraautomation.jpg

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 1, 2022

Hi @Jennifer Baum 

I suggested some things to try in your other post for this same question here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Automation-to-update-Due-Date-based-on-Start-Date-Original/qaq-p/2179070

Kind regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events