Handling matrix type projects in jira?

Philippe Laurin
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 17, 2019

Hi,

My team handles work for multiple clients (10+). We currently have 3 different types of jira projects:

1) "Standard" Projects: For example, an application migration. These are planned with a set budget/scope/timeline.

2) Service Desk requests: Clients open tickets (incidents/service requests) in their service desk.

3) Recurrent work: For example, monitoring client environments

Resources can be grouped in 2 categories: Developers and DBAs

Most developers work on 1 or 2 projects at a time which is manageable. DBAs can work on all types of projects, they can work on 5+ clients each week. Each week we rotate which DBA will handle Service Desk requests.

I'm trying to create a board for the DBA team to be able to have a view on what needs to be done. I created a kanban board for the DBA team which so far includes all Service Desk requests and Recurrent work, but it's a bit messy. Also, I haven't found an effective way to integrate the Projects work in the kanban.

So, essentially, I'm looking for suggestions on how to handle the workload of a matrix organisation in jira, any thoughts?

1 answer

1 vote
Josh Carolan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 17, 2019

Hi Philippe,

Have you considered using swimlanes on the board you created to break the work up by project (or something else like priority) so it is a bit less 'messy' on the board? 

Try it out and see if you think it suits your needs: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/configuring-swimlanes-764478010.html

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events