Granular Admin Permissions

Is there any way to restrict admin permissions in a granular way? For instance, one group of users should be able to add users and create new projects but cannot install / update plugins. I have tried separating 'System Administrators' and 'Administrators' but the Administrator role still has too much power.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote

Nope. System Admins, Jira Admins, <huge gap>, Project Admins, Ordinary users. That's your lot.

See https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-3156 for the main request to divide up permissions better. Vote, watch, suggest and hassle Atlassain!

OK - This is what I have uncovered by searching online.

My fix for this issue was to edit the default project roles for all new projects to exclude Jira-Users (group everyone gets) and to only include the common groups who always need access (Business users, IT Users, Development folks, etc.). For additional users who need access (ad-hoc) they are added manually to the project under User Role.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Jira

Mission-critical battery manufacturer fulfills FAA software requirements with Commit Policy Plugin

EaglePicher Technologies is a leading manufacturer of battery systems for diverse industries like defense, aviation, space or medical. As they operate in highly regulated industries, keeping a clear ...

181 views 0 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you