Filter Activity Stream Gadget by username

Eric September 18, 2020

I'm having trouble filtering the Activity Stream Gadget by username on a Jira Software Dashboard.  I understand usernames were converted to user account Ids.  I have tried many variations and cannot get data to display for any user who has comments.

Reference articles:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Next-gen-questions/How-can-I-filter-Activity-Stream-gadget-by-username/qaq-p/1391709

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/convert-usernames-to-user-account-i-ds/?_ga=2.246332672.525239113.1590292104-1478559027.1570682324

Screenshot:

Screenshot at 2020-09-18 11-51-23.png

1 answer

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2020

@Eric - hi Eric! One workaround (that I just tested successfully on my Cloud instance) is to find your ajs-remote-user value:

• Go to a Jira issue.
  • Check the source code for the page.
  • Search for the value "ajs-remote-user" in the code, and use that value as your username. For me, I found <meta name="ajs-remote-user" content="dave.liao">

Does this work for you? I'm sure there are cases where that value might not be present, but hopefully you don't win that lottery.

Eric September 18, 2020

Thanks for that, it worked to get my own id.  Do you know how to get another user's Id?

Like Dave Liao likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2020

Depending on your admin permissions, you can look them up in https://admin.atlassian.com then choose "Log in as user", then look up their IDs individually. It's definitely not a workaround that works at scale...

Like Fumachi likes this
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 24, 2021
Like Inna Ignatieva likes this
David Lewis March 25, 2021

Wow this actually worked.  In my case...my value was "admin" and all my users were like "removed65461324" but it still worked.  We used activity stream a lot when we were on Server so glad to finally have a workaround for this on Cloud.  Thanks Dave!

jhenson September 3, 2021

I can't believe this basic functionality is still not working a year later...   truly sad

Like # people like this
Tom Kiefer January 18, 2022

Yeah, I can't get this to work, either.

My "ajs-remote-user" value is apparently the same as my actual user name, so nothing there to try.

I have user-filtered Activity Stream macros in a few Confluence pages that worked fine up until the past few weeks, and now simply stopped filtering, and no amount of tinkering so far has been able to get the filtering working again.

Don't know if this is just me, or just my instance, or...

Mitul Makadia April 8, 2022

This has stopped working for me and one of my colleague too. 

Suggest an answer