Feature Request / Bug Report: Square brackets in Visual tab unexpectedly delete text.

Kevin Mote
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 20, 2017

While typing a Description in the "Visual" tab, if I try to put a parenthetical comment in square brackets, as soon as I complete the statement and click the right bracket, all my text is deleted (back to the first bracket). What's worse, Ctrl-z doesn't restore the text. I lose it permanently and have to start over.

This is super-annoying.

(Note: I would like to submit this issue as a bug, or at least a feature request, but I don't know how.)

1 answer

1 vote
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 21, 2017

Hi Kevin,

I am working to replicate the problem on Jira 7.5.1 but I have been unable to. 

Could you confirm with us your current Jira version, and are you able to send a screenshot or a clip of how you're replicating it? You can use something such as Screencast-o-matic if you want to record it visually.

Kind regards,

Shannon

Kevin Mote
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2017

I've got a screencap video, but I don't see any way to upload it to this page. (Company firewall prohibits posting it on other 3rd party sites.)

However, I have 2 other pieces of info:

• I'm running Jira 7.3
  • I just noticed that, at the same time I type the right bracket, an error message appears. "Object doesn't support property or method 'EndsWith'" (Attached screenshot)
Kevin Mote
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 21, 2017

SNAG_Program-0029.png

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 21, 2017

Kevin,

No worries, thank you for trying.

Which browser are you using when you have this problem? Do you happen to have any add-ons installed with it that might cause the error?

When I search that specific error message I get a lot of posts about Internet Explorer 11. Have a look at this article, which states a similar error could be related to a reported issue in Internet Explorer: Exception: Object doesn't support property or method 'matches' - Internet Explorer. If you clear your cache and remove temp files, then restart your browser, do you run into the same issue?

Kind regards,

Shannon

Kevin Mote
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 21, 2017

Thank you for your quick replies! Indeed, I had been using IE11. (I tried it on Chrome and could not reproduce the bug.) Unfortunately, clearing the cache (Ctrl+Shft+Del -> Temporary Files and Cookies), and restarting browser did not resolve the issue.

Also, unfortunately, my corporate environment discourages me from using Chrome. (Perhaps this bug might help me to persuade them otherwise, but I wouldn't count on it!)

Again, I really appreciate your advice. If you happen to come across any other suggestions, I would love to hear about it!

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
November 22, 2017

Hi Kevin,

If clearing the cache and temporary files didn't work, I would recommend trying the other solutions mentioned on the Microsoft page that was linked on the article above.

Let us know if you have any trouble.

Kind regards,

Shannon

Kevin Mote
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 27, 2017

Thank you. I will give those solutions a try.

Lesley_Groh February 5, 2018

Hi Everyone,

I see this issue occurring in JIRA Software v7.3.8.  I reported it as a bug to Support.  Here is a link to the ticket if you would like to vote for this issue.  Thanks!  Lesley

JRASERVER-66673

Suggest an answer