Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Celebration

Earn badges and make progress

You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.

Deleted user Avatar
Deleted user

Level 1: Seed

25 / 150 points

Next: Root

1 badge earned

Collect

Participate in fun challenges

Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!

Challenges
Coins

Gift kudos to your peers

What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.

Recognition
Ribbon

Rise up in the ranks

Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!

Leaderboard

Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Error on REST API request - ConnectionResetError(10054, 'An existing connection was forcibly closed

My REST API request from Python to JIRA is failing is following error message:

Connection aborted.', ConnectionResetError(10054, 'An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host', None, 10054, None

time.sleep() is not solving the issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

3 answers

0 votes

I received the same error. We have two environments one for dev and one for prod - both using the same set of credentials, so I often wrote a script and tested it on dev then I ran it on prod.

When I have had the prod jira object created, and reused the same variable but swapped the url to dev, I got the same error. I have created a new jira object and the issue was sorted.

I am not sure how the jira object is created in python, but I am assuming that when we reuse an existing jira object and change the url to a similar environment, python will not regenerate everything, perhaps reuses the previausly created auth_object and the jira server doesn't like the requests and refuses them as these were created for a different server.

So, yes we did couple of tests:

Its working from browser and postman

url = https://***jiraserver***/rest/api/2/issue/abc-123/?fields=issuelinks

response = requests.request("GET", url, auth=auth, headers=headers, data = payload, verify = False)

0 votes
Thomas Deiler Community Leader Apr 20, 2021

Dear @alexey sorochkin ,

this sounds crazy. Due to the nature of a REST call, which is stateless, a connection is never kept open longer.

Can you give me more details when this happens? Does this happen only for specific calls? POST, GET, PUT same?

So long

Thomas

It happens one GET call

Thomas Deiler Community Leader Apr 23, 2021

Ok. Which call exactly?

have you tried to send the REST call with a browser extension to verify if it works in general?

So long

Thomas

Ok this means the REST API interface in Jira is not broken. :)

Is 

request.request()

from a library?

Yes from HTTP request library

Do other GET request (eg. get all projects) work with this HTTP request library function?

Try GET /rest/api/2/project

So long

Thomas

No, nothing is working. Event simple attemp to GET jira url information immediately resulting in this error.

And what about a PUT/POST requests?

e.g. PUT /rest/api/2/issue/{issueIdOrKey}/assignee ?

Has your code ever worked?

PUT and POST giving same error.

It worked up until few days ago and suddenly it started showing this error.

Can you remember what has changed? A new SSL certificate pops up immedately into my mind, as a source of problems. Network changes? Host name changes?

We dont know yet, but thanks for ideas.

What network change can cause this kind of problem?

Thomas Deiler Community Leader Apr 27, 2021

Dear @alexey sorochkin ,

I have no clue about what could be the reason. But thinking logically, if your didn't change the Python script and Jira was also not manipulated, something in between must have been changed - the network (firewall, router, vpn, ...).

Probably there was a package / software upgrade on both client and server. Eg. a new Python lib / binary could react different than before.

So long

Thomas

Suggest an answer