Epic summary shows when linking story to Epic

Kianoesh Shademan September 11, 2019

Hi Community, 

Was wondering if it's possible to show the Epic Link when linking a Story to an Epic instead of it showing the Summary? 

Why would it even show me the summary instead of the Epic Link when I'm linking a Story to a specific Epic. For me, it makes no sense. 

3 answers

0 votes

First of all, thanks for the replies!

I have created an test epic with the following values: 
Summary; TEST EPIC SUMMARY
Name: TEST EPIC NAME

2019-09-11 11_33_45-[OC1-13] TEST EPIC SUMMARY - Dagelijkse mededelingen.png

When linking a test story to the epic, it shows me the Summary where i ideally would want to see the epic name: 

2019-09-11 11_33_59-[OC1-14] TEST STORY - Dagelijkse mededelingen.png

An easy fix would be renaming the summary just like the Epic name but the whole idea of the summary would be obsolete..

Jan Philip Lenz September 11, 2019

Is there a specific reason that you use the "linked issues" function instead of the "Epic Link" function that is accessible under "show more" on the right hand side of your issue overview?

Is the option "epic link" even displayed under "show more" in your configuration?

Like Kianoesh Shademan likes this

Dear Jan, 

Thanks for the reply, It seems you have found the issue to my problem in which I misunderstood the link between Epic/Story. 

Many thanks!

Like Jan Philip Lenz likes this
0 votes

I have created an Epic with the Epic name "ABC". (In practice a very short name).
The Epic summary contains XYZ. (Which in practice may include 2/3 lines).

When I want to link a Story (to an Epic in this case), I get a list which shows me the summary's where I want to see the Epic names.

To easily fix this I can rename the summary to ABC. But what is the whole point of having an Epic Name and Summary in this case.

Just created an Example Epic with the following values:

Epic Name: "Test (Epic Name)"

Epic Summary: "Test-Epic (Summary)"

When linking the Story to the Epic I get the following suggestion:

image.png

Find the resulting issue-overview below:

image.png

0 votes

Can you post a snapshot of your problem?

When configuring your card layout you should be able to choose "Epic Link" which displays the actual Epic Name and not the Summary.

Suggest an answer