Epic: Link Issue button not allowing an issue to be linked

Barry Scallan June 2, 2022

Hi Community, 

Hopefully somebody has come across this restriction. 

Use case:

Under an Epic I simply want to link the epic to another ticket within the same project and/or other projects for tracking other tickets connected to the Epic. 

I can create issues within the epic fine. 

For the life of me I cannot get it working since our move to the cloud. 

The issue is only for the button "link issue" and not for Web Link / Confluence Link

Note this is fine for stories and subtasks and other types of tickets link bugs and tasks. 

Checking below reference links:

I've reviewed the field configuration for "linked issues" and it's shown on the applicable screens

the function to activate linking issues is activated

the permission for "link issues" is given the correct permission

the screen for Epics has linked issues field

> the layout for Epics does not < this is my hunch but it seems the irrelevant as it shows as available

Referenced already: 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-can-i-get-the-quot-Create-Linked-Issue-quot-button-back/qaq-p/1121831

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-72391

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Issue-linked-button-not-working-on-software-project/qaq-p/1282150

Help or advice appreciated

1 answer

0 votes
Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2022

I could be misunderstanding exactly what the problem is here..

When you say linked, you mean 'relates to' or 'is blocked by' linking? If so, check screens -- there can be 3, one for create, one for edit, and one for view. Make sure to check all 3 if they're different.

If you mean you want to link an epic inside another epic, like bugs and stories appear - then you can't do that. You'd need to have advanced roadmaps in order to make something 'above' an Epic, like Initiative, and link them both using the Parent Link field.

If I misunderstood, I apologize!

Barry Scallan June 21, 2022

Thanks Chris,

You're describing it better that me, the "relates" type linking doesn't show for me despite the screens containing the "linked issues" field. 

I'll have a review of the screens but from a previous look at the screens and layout it shows the "linked issues" fields should be present. 

Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 24, 2022

I don't know exactly what it might be then, there are a number of ways this could happen (like field config, layout, etc), but it sounds like you're looking where I would suggest.

It might also be worth checking out the issue linking admin area, though I am not expecting anything to be wrong there. Just a place to see if anything looks wrong.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events