Enabling site access on JIRA CLOUD to user using REST API

Shrikant Bhosale March 7, 2019

Hello,

We created users using administrators account. New users are appeared in Users section on JIRA, but created users are not having access on site.

We have hundreds of users and dont want to do it manually from each user's details page.

Is any API option to make this, so I can put in script and iterate for all users.

Tried with curl command as:

curl --insecure -D- --show-error -u admin:pass -X POST --data '{"name":"clientuser","active":"true"}' -H "Content-Type: application/json" https://account.atlassian.net/rest/api/2/user?username=clientuser

but it saying user already exists

Gone through https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/user-management-rest-api-changes-in-jira-cloud-858756548.html tried to use PUT, but saying method not available.

Thanks

3 answers

2 votes
Srecko Anzic May 1, 2021

HI Alexey Matveev _cPrime_ I am not sure why are you telling everyone the same answer that the user needs to be added to the group.
Very often I have a user that I want to disable but I do not want to delete the user because we have a policy to keep the user disabled for 3 months and then delete the user.

The user is usually part of multiple groups and usually it has a confluence and JIRA Software license, sometimes also the Service desk license.

I just want to flip the switch "Has access on site" via API because the command is part of my off-boarding application.

Any ideas how to set the Active field to False by using PUT and this uri https://xxx.atlassian.net/rest/api/3/user?accountId=xxx ?

I would appreciate your help.

Gianandrea Tognini August 17, 2021

Same here: is there a way of granting / disabling a user from "access on site" (equivalent of the following toggle in the Access section of the User details page):

image.png

programmatically / via REST API?

0 votes
Vinicius Oliveira January 10, 2023

Has anyone been able to achieve this? I have the exact same use case: grant SITE ACCESS to new and existing users via rest API. I can see that users inherit roles and product access through group membership, but I still can't understand why site access isn't managed the same way in Jira.

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2019

Hello,

I guess, the users, you created, are not included in any group, which grants access to your site.

You can do it two ways:

1. Go to Product -> Product Access and enable the New users have access to this product. In this case new users will be added automatically to the default group for the product (existing users will not be added):

Screenshot 2019-03-08 at 09.58.50.png2. Execute another Rest Api request to add the created users to a group, which are presented in the Product -> Product Access screen

Jason Sheldon October 30, 2019

Hi

I have the same issue but I have already added the users to groups and i checked new users have access to the product but still Access site is greyed out

Jan Paul March 14, 2022

Hi Alexey, I tried both ways but like Jason, I'm also not able to grant access programmatically. Adding a user to a group with Jira access does not switch the Has access on site toggle. Are there any other options on how we can achieve this? We also have many users that need to be created programmatically but we are not able to work with these newly created users (e.g. assign them to issues) because that toggle is off.  Thanks.

Suggest an answer