During indexing logs show No sub-file with id <id> found during indexing

We've experienced this error about a 1/2 dozen times over the past 2 or 3 months.  A quick search lands us on https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/jira-throws-no-sub-file-with-id-found-when-indexing-755336650.html   which points to a lucene bug https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-5541 that says the problem is lessened in 4.x versions of JIRA.

This confluence article was written in 2015 if the logs in the article are to be believed.  Why has lucene not been updated to 4.x in JIRA in the past two years?  Our web-inf dir shows version 3.3.0

jira-lucene-dmz-7.3.3.jar

lucene-analyzers-3.3.0.jar

lucene-core-3.3.0-atlassian-1.jar

lucene-extras-3.3.0-atlassian-3.jar

Has anyone else experienced recurring issues with the Lucene index like this?  If so how did you fix it?  How can we get Atlassian to upgrade the Lucene version to a version that is less prone towards this error?

1 answer

Hi Matthew,

As we can see, LUCENE-5541 still an open bug, which means the error would still happen even on the latest version of Lucene. 

Besides that, have you tried all the information from the KB:

• Filesystem permissions.
  • Network storage locations.

A simple test to check if this is related to any environmental aspect is to set up a test instance and load up the Production XML backup. See if you can reproduce the error.

I hope that this helps. Cheers!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,189 views 13 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot