Duplicate notification emails from jira

It appears that everyone is now receiving duplicate emails from jira. We just completed an upgrade, and I think we didn't get a chance to test email notifications. Can you please advise me on how to determine where these duplicate mails are coming from? This system has many users and we're getting a lot of complaints about this. Duplicates happen on any notification scheme or action configured in a scheme, to any recipient (individual users or groups).

4 answers

2 votes
David Currie Atlassian Team Jul 12, 2012

We have a KB article on duplication notifications, however for completeness sake this question was resolved locally by Aaron (a Support ticket was raised) and was caused by a custom listener that had a bug in it.

Could I ask what the solution was? I am having similar issues with our setup and would like to know how to resolve this?

Could I know what the solution was, as I have the same problem too.

was caused by a third-party plugin.

We don't have any 3rd party plugin and have this issue. Some folks didn't get the email while others received 3 copies.

"Third Party Plugin"

Oh well I guess that solves it then.

There are hundreds of Third Party plugins, could you be a bit more specific?

David Currie Atlassian Team Mar 31, 2014

This was actually caused by a custom listener that had a bug, I've updated my original comment. If you're getting duplicate notifications it could be caused by a significant number of different factors - for example it could happen due to a notification scheme containing assignee and a mailing list. As JIRA doesn't know which members belong to the mailing list it sends a notification for the mailing list and the assignee - as a result they receive two notifications.

Please take a look through https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Notifications+Troubleshooting#NotificationsTroubleshooting-DuplicatenotificationemailsarebeingsentfromJIRAfor more info.

This Confluence link comes up 503. Could it be reposted elsewhere, please?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,233 views 14 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot