Does copying whole working jira instance to another instance can causes any adverse impact on my working jira.

Hardik Parekh October 15, 2014

Hi,

I am using JIRA 6.1 & my question is :

I have perfectly working jira. Now after shut-down of that JIRA I copied my whole Jira-Instance(Hard disk - vmdk file) to another new instance.

After that I start my both of JIRA & both of them seems working properly but still I am not sure whether it can causes any adverse impact on my current jira? is it illegal?

P.S - One more thing

Server ID 
Support Entitlement Number (SEN)

of bith JIRA is completely same. So anything is wrong? please update me.

Thanks & Regards,

Hardik 

1 answer

1 vote
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 15, 2014

Hi Hardik,

Both your JIRA instances are now pointing to the same database. This is not recommended. Could you tell us more about what you are exactly trying to do?

If you are trying to setup a staging instance, your staging JIRA instance should be pointing to a different database.

And no you won't land up in prison for doing this. It is not illegal smile

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 15, 2014

Exactly. But, it's recommended to use developer licenses for staging instances.

Suggest an answer