Display issue status in Sprint Backlog (not board view)

David
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 6, 2021

Is it possible to display the issue status in the backlog? I'm referring to the actual backlog where sprints are managed, not the board/card view.

5 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2021

Hi @David

Jack gave you the information which are helpful for this case.
@Jack Brickeylet me help out with the screenshot :-)

grafik.png

Taken from a company-managed project using a scrum board.

Cheers,
Daniel

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 6, 2021

In CMP yes as the image below illustrates.

Well…community is acting up again and not let me post an image. I will try to do so in a bit. In the meantime if you just go to board settings in a CMP scrum board you will be presented with two options one for backlog and one for active sprint.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2021

@David , so if you click on the… In the top right corner of your image what are you presented with? You should be able to go to board settings and select Card Layout Where are you will be presented with a screen like the one Daniel shared. In that screen you can add up to three fields to your backlog view and those fields will be displayed on the backlog line items.

David
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 12, 2021

Awesome. This has been right in front of my face this whole time and I never realized it. Thought it only applied to the board view.

Thanks guys!

4 votes
David
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 12, 2021

I am not talking about adding fields to the card view on the board. I'm talking about show the issue status in the backlog view. Below is the screen I'm referring to.

JiraBacklog.png

Jango Hemmes August 25, 2021

I'm very frustrated by this. I have an older project from another company where a see the dropdown box with the status in this view, and its very insightful. But the newer project from my company looks like your screen, and the status dropbox is missing. I think you even came up with the same 'fix' by applying card colouring to still be able to sort of indicate the status

Jango Hemmes August 25, 2021

Below 2 screenshots: the top project is newer and does not have the status dropdown. I can't seem to enable it just like the bottom older project has it
image.pngimage.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 25, 2021

@Jango Hemmes , I wonder if you need to post a new question if you are seeking assistance?

Tejaditya Sankranthi September 2, 2021

@Jango Hemmes Jira has two kinds of projects in software, Team-managed (previously known as Next-gen) and Company-managed (previously known as Classic).

The image you posted where statuses are visible by default and in colour was from the backlog of a Team-managed project. In Company-managed projects, it is not visible by default but you can go to top right ... > Board settings > Card Layout and choose to display up to three fields including issue status but the UX of Backlog after including it is horrible

Like # people like this
Jango Hemmes September 3, 2021

Oh my god, you're right. Oh that's horrible, I meant to use Team-managed projects only. I'll just have to create new projects and migrate everything there.
Thanks a LOT for your help though!!

Jango Hemmes September 3, 2021

Btw, you're 100% right about the horrible UX. I had found out about including the status through Card Layout, but it burns the eyes. My current solution was coloring the cards in a gray/blue/green status color.

Damir Horvat November 3, 2021

@Jack Brickey Is there a way to fix that horrible UI? And make it as it was in Team managed Projects (like in screenshot from @Jango Hemmes ) ? It is slap to the face for users

Screenshot at Nov 03 15-46-14.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 5, 2021

@Damir Horvat , to be clear I do not work for Atlassian so please take that into consideration when reading the following.

• I don't agree that it is a horrible UI
  • It is just code so I'm certain it could be changed to present in the manner you're requesting
  • You might want to consider providing feedback to atlassian via the feedback link within your application or open a support ticket with Atlassian support
Damir Horvat November 5, 2021

Dear @Jack Brickey , sorry, I was not aware that you are not from Attlasian, and thank you for the kind advices.

All best,
Damir

2 votes
Jason Morphett January 3, 2023

Just catching up on this thread after encountering the same problem.  I realised it was a difference between Team-based and Company-managed.  But come on Atlasssian, this must be an easy fix to add the drop down to the Issue?  Its so much better than having to double the Issue real estate by being forced to add it as a card field.

Thanks.

2 votes
efroim102 May 17, 2022

I just published this Chrome Extension to help with this, it does require setting up the extra fields: Jira Backlog Status - Chrome Web Store (google.com)

Cintas Thiago A June 30, 2023

Hi @efroim102 !

This Chrome extesion is working pretty fine.

Also did try to use in Edge browser and it's working good.

Thanks.

Like efroim102 likes this

Suggest an answer