Disable Notifications when custom fields updated

Shaine Chance June 20, 2021

Hi all

i know this has been asked before and answer has always been no but hoping something has changed since the last no!

I just want to be able to prevent notifications being sent out when certain fields are updated. We have several administrative fields we want to use but we just cannot justify the additional emails that get created when updating the fields.

Other ticketing systems handles this with ease so I find it bizarre it cannot be handled here! 

Is there a page in this community you can make requests which can be ‘liked’ by other members so the developers can see what’s truly wanted?

Thanks guys!

4 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 20, 2021

Hey @Shaine Chance and welcome to the community!

Like you already mention there is no way to limit the Issue Updated notification based on specific fields.

It's pretty much a catch all situation:

Issue Updated -> send notifications.

From my perspective the only way i've been able to change this is by using an app.

A couple examples are:

1. Using an automation plugin (which you should have by default on Cloud) and use that to replace all your notifications (or at least the issue updated one). In the Automation rule you could run an additional check besides "issue updated" and also check on the field value changed.
  2. Using a secondary/third party email plugin. One I've used a lot in the past is Email This Issue. There you can more creatively define the rules on how to send our notifications using JQL's and more.

So I fear out of the box, still gonna be a "no", but if you are willing to invest time (and/or money) there could be some workarounds.

Shaine Chance June 21, 2021

Hi Dirk

I appreciate the answer.

Such a shame it cannot be incorporated as standard as I can see the benefits it would bring to people!

Kind regards

Like # people like this
Srikanth Ganipisetty January 3, 2022

@Dirk Ronsmans Hi Dirk, thanks for the recommendation to try out for the "Email this Issue " plugin features and currently testing out on requirements we have. 

But, I don't see a condition: to capture field value changed and an action to "stop the email notifications" under Automation for Jira Plugin we have on Jira DataCenter. Could you please describe the steps and if this is something possible on Jira DataCenter? 

Thanks,

Srikanth Ganipisetty

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2022

hey @Srikanth Ganipisetty ,

The "field value changed" should be a trigger in the automation rules.

However, "stop email notifications" is not an action. For this to work with automation rules you would need to reverse process and configure your notifications to be sent thru the automation rules. This way you can control more granular when a mail is sent.

Like vchugai likes this
Jacolene Benadé February 4, 2022

Hi Dirk - How would I do that. 

I've introduced a ticket Age custom field that runs daily and will make Jira notifications quite noisy. 

Scheduled to run just before 12 at night but will send about 150-400 notices to assignees/watches/reporters. 

I was thinking of exploring the project schemes for an answer?

I don't mind if the notifications come to me only - I will just automate my inbox for them to go into a folder and be deleted. 

Have a lovely day!

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 20, 2021

@Shaine Chance - can you send an example of the notifications you're referring to?

...or you're stating that you want to prevent "Issue Updated" emails from going out when certain custom fields are updated? Like in this thread?

Shaine Chance June 21, 2021

Hi Dave - thats the one.

I know the answer was a no (in all threads I read) but here's hoping something had changed recently!

Has the great function of adding any kind of custom field to allow great use of internal reporting but no way of preventing end users getting these useless (to them) updates :(

What about my second query? Is there an area we can 'vote' for suggestions or is there nothing like that in this forum?

Kind regards

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 21, 2021

@Shaine Chance ,

Not on the forum here, you can either raise a request through the support portal (https://support.atlassian.com/contact) or use the issue/suggestion tracking portal

https://jira.atlassian.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa

When you raise a request with Atlassian support they often end up creating an issue/suggestion there. But you can also search them and vote/watch for any changes

Like # people like this
Richard Mann September 30, 2021

@Shaine Chance if you create such a ticket, I'd be happy to vote for it and the noise generated by this across our dynamically generated custom fields is crippling.

So please pop a link in here if you can :-)

Like # people like this
John Conneely August 18, 2022

@Richard Mann a similar request to this this is being voted on here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-22681

Like Rafa likes this
2 votes
Fadi Hawli April 7, 2024

i do not have an answer to this problem but i have an answer to Atlassian. its disappointing that so many forum threads have been raised about preventing notifications for custom field value changes. this has been discussed for many years now and we still do not see Jira introduce an option to disable notifications on specific custom fields that you do not want to trigger a notification.

surely  simple flag under custom fields can be implemented.

2 votes
Tyler Chlumecky September 5, 2023

Disappointing. This should just be a matter of adding a "send email" flag on any fields within the system and then respecting that flag when processing the notification queue, no?

Suggest an answer