Deactivate users on JIRA

Eva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2011

Hi,

I want to know if there is a way to deactivate a user after he/she left the project. I dont know if deleting the user would means all his/her work on JIRA woudl be gone. And deleting the users from the groups seems a tedious process and could be hard when we maintain all those active and inactive users together. Any thoughts?

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Markus Lepper
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2011

We have a separate group "_ExpiredUser" which is the only one any expired user is assigned to. (This group is of course not added to "Global Permission > Jira Users" ;)

By this you could sufficient easily recognize expired users when scrolling though the full user list.

==> In addition you need to take care that the user email is changed to an internal one like expired@xxx.com as Jira continues sending emails via Notification schemes although the user has no right to login to Jira! <==

BR, Markus

BTW: It's a pity that the user table is NOT sortable (by clickiung on column headers). => Improvement idea.

Eva
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 1, 2011

Thanks marcus! That sounds a good idea to me. and Good point on the notification, i completely forgot about. Well, I assume (again, never assume on things) that once users are off the group they wont get the email, I guess that will not be the case.

Markus Lepper
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 1, 2011

Hi Eva,

Well, I've assumed the end of mails sending when deactivating users...but got requests by ex-employees why the still get mails (only for accounts with non company email addresses, of course).

BR, Mar_K_us ;-)

1 vote
Dennis Kromhout van der Meer
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 31, 2011

Have you tried removing the affected user from the jira-users group?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2011

Just removing them from Jira-users is the basic way to say "user is not here any more", as it effectively kills off their ability to log in (assuming you've still got the standard setup in global permissions)

Eva
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 31, 2011

well thats what I meant when I said "remove users from groups", but it doesnt necessary tell me when this users is deactivated (I guess you can do a SQL on last modified date?)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2011

Mmm, well you didn't mention any question about expiry before, but the easy answer is "look at the last logged in date" (feature added in Version 4.0). It won't tell you the last usage, but most humans move away from their Jira sessions within a few hours of starting it, so it's probably good enough.

That's in the database somewhere, although I've accidentally bypassed it in our system with a custom authenticator, and I don't know where to look.

If you mean "when was the user removed from jira-users", it's not logged. But http://www.plugenta.com/jiraauditor/tour.html can add the audit...

0 votes
Markus Lepper
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 1, 2011

Right Kenneth; we have on the leaving-person checklist that no unresoved issues shall stay assigned to this person.

As quite some do not follow this ;) I've as well this kind of query where I get a mail in case an unresolved issue is still assigned to an expired_person.

0 votes
Ken Wood
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 1, 2011

We also remove former users from "jira-users" group and assign them an 'expired_users' group. In addition, we have a query that finds all issues assigned to someone in the "expired_users" group so the issue can be re-assigned to someone still with the company.

Suggest an answer