Custom fields and performance

Sven.H
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2013

Hello, I am new with Jira. How many custom fields do you currently use in Jira? Do custom fields influence the performance of Jira? Best regards Sven

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 10, 2013

Hi Sven,

There could be a potential impact on the performace, however custom fields alone should not reduce it like in case of number of issues.

If you want to check different behaviors you can try to set up your own JIRA instance and use a plugin called JIRA Data Generator that will let you create as many custom fields and issues that you will want. Then the only this is left to do is to check if after that there is an impact to the performance.

I hope that will help.

Best Regads,

Mirek

Sven.H
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2013
Do you know if there is any recommendation for the server sizing to support a defined ammount of issues? Currently we have 8GB RAM, 2xCPU (2.8GHz), 64Bit, VM Ware. Currently we have 1427 issue and no severe performance issues. issues
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2013

Hi Sven,

1427 tickets is not an issue if having that kind of configuration.. Having 400k an more could be a problem, so you still have time to increase to that number.

If you would like to read about some performance test yoube this documentation could be helpfull:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=312740794

This is for JIRA 4 but is giving more overview about the difference between few configurations.

I hope that will help,

Best Regards,

Mirek

Suggest an answer