Custom field not showing

Smash January 5, 2020

I have created custom field but no matter what i do it's not showing up while creating or editing task. 

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2020

First go to the custom field page in the administration page, and check the context (In the screenshot included the context is global) and the screens you have attached for that custom field by clicking on screens option,

Custom Field 1.png

Now to confirm that you have field in that screen, you can go to the screens option in project settings page

Custom Field 2.pngCustom Field.pngThis should enable you to have the custom field on your required screen,

and to view the field on view screen, you need to have the value in that field.

Smash January 6, 2020

I don't see Screen options in Project setting in Jira free. I only see Details, Access, Issue Type and Features under Project Settings. Here is what I did:

1) Created Custom Field that has Available Context(s) = Issue type(s):Global (all issues)

2) Screens = 

3) in all three screen I see my field is shown in the list at the end. But when I open my existing task or create new task I don;t see the field. Someone asked me to do indexing but I dont see that option also in System settings advanced options.

Like Kazuki Ko likes this
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2020

I think its Next-gen Project, follow the below steps, go to Issue types in project settings

Next-Gen Custom Field.jpg

To create a field choose the issue type you want the custom field to be created in and see the available options in fields.

Next-Gen Create Custom Field.jpg

Hope this helps !

Emma Rush _T_D_ January 6, 2020

@Smash Did you add a custom field via the Jira administration panels or via the NG Project administration area? It sounds like you added it via the Jira administration panels. 

If you add the custom field via Jira Administration, it won't automatically appear in the NG project, those projects are administrated in a different way. To add a field for use in an NG project, add the field as the person above has indicated. 

Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 6, 2020

Only Classic projects in Jira cloud are configured via Jira administration Page (Options like Custom fields, workflow, issue types, and so on) and Next-gen projects are configured in their own projects.

Smash January 6, 2020

Yes. Its NG project. I created the way explained above and its working now.

Thanks a lot.

0 votes
Hernan Halabi - Elite IT Consulting Group
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2020

Hi @Smash I suggest you check my answer here to see all the possible things that could be causing this

0 votes
Emma Rush _T_D_ January 5, 2020

Could you expand on what you mean by "no matter what I do" and we might be able to help better. :) 

If you definitely created the custom field, you should look at the schemes in your project where this is manifesting itself. Look at the:

• screen scheme
  • issue type screen scheme
  • field configuration

Suggest an answer