Creating an AD account via a Jira ticket

Christian Radwanski September 25, 2018

Good day,

I have been reviewing our HR processes and was unable to be certain if Jira has the capability of creating an AD user.

After research and reviewing documentation, I have noticed that it specifies that Jira can have an LDAP connection but the examples mentioned in the documentation. Only mention  changing an existing user in Jira will update an AD user or importing AD users into Jira.

Goal:
- HR creates Jira ticket and fills in fields such as: first name, last name etc..
- Active directory recieves info and creates an AD account.

Question:
- Is it possible to achieve the above goals.
- If so, how and some guidance would be great as Im unable to determine / am a bit lost on the subject when reading the LDAP documentation.

Documentation reviewed:
- https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/connecting-to-an-ldap-directory-802592350.html
- https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/synchronizing-data-from-external-directories-802592362.html

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 26, 2018

Hi Christian,

Jira does not have the ability to create users in Active Directory. What you've described sounds like a great timesaver for HR though, especially if you combine it with automation and approvals in Jira Service Desk.

What you can do instead is trigger a webhook from Jira that includes the relevant details. You'd need a system on the other end like ManageEngine's ADManager that could create AD users from an API call. I'm fairly sure AD doesn't have a REST API out of the box but it might even be possible to wire something up with PowerShell if you had someone particularly handy in it. Otherwise if you need an off-the-shelf solution, ADManager isn't a bad way to go. Once the webhook was configured, you could call it during a Jira workflow transition. You might have a couple statuses called "In Progress" and "User Created" in the workflow and add the webhook as a postfunction on the transition that goes from In Progress to User Created.

The actual configuration of ADManager or something else that can create AD users from a REST API call is outside of what I'm able to help with, but let me know if you need additional help with setting up a webhook or configuring a workflow to trigger a webhook.

Cheers,
Daniel

Peter Le
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 9, 2024

Hi Daniel, 

this is something i would like to implement, do you have any guide which would provide me steps from start to finish?

thank you, 

Peter

Joseph Ramirez
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 11, 2024

Yes I am also looking at something similar except using it to change group assignments. if you have the guide I would also greatly appreciate it.

V/R

Joey

Suggest an answer