Create one issue with multiple approvers in Jira Automation

Ranjan Koirala July 20, 2021

In Automation within Project Settings, want to create an issue with multiple approvers and when one approver approves it should automatically go to the next one based on the approver selected and so on till the end.

Can somebody please let me know how I can do this?

3 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2021

Hi @Ranjan Koirala

from a previous Community post I remember parts which you could also use for your scenario - Jira is very flexible, there is more than one way to reach the goal.

Like Ashu said working with Conditions and Validators is likely the easiest way.

What I generally find a bit cumbersome is having several transitions until a approval is finished (thinking of workflows with 15 steps and more).

Maybe you get some inspiration out of this discussion:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Sign-Off-procedure-for-Release-candidate/qaq-p/1582775

Perhaps also an App could support the process. It really depends how you would like to implement it.

Regards,
Daniel

0 votes
Ashu Tyagi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2021

@Ranjan Koirala  I don't know if we can use project automation in such a way without over complicating it.

The way approvals are managed are using either validators or conditions in jira software, So ideally you will have an issuetype which would require approvals and then those are set in it's workflows 

0 votes
Ashu Tyagi
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 20, 2021

@Ranjan Koirala  Use either workflow conditions or Validators to restrict workflow transition to certain groups/project roles/customfields etc.

You can setup multiple conditions or validators on multiple transitions and name those transitions accordingly 

Ranjan Koirala July 21, 2021

Hi @ASHU TYAGI , thanks for the note. Can you include some screenshot?

Ashu Tyagi
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 21, 2021

validator-condition.PNG

By clicking on any transition you will get this window which will allow you to add validator or conditions

Ranjan Koirala July 21, 2021

Vendor WF.JPG

I probably didn't explain the problem correctly - this is what I am trying to do is to when issue is created using a certain text .e.g Vendor (as per screenshot) then would like to create multiple approvers so when the first one approves it should automatically go to the next one and so on in series till the end.

Suggest an answer