Create a dependent field in Jira 6.2.2

RamamandA April 14, 2014

Hi,

I am looking for steps to create dependent fields in Jira. My requirement is that, I would like to create a dependent dropdown value set. For example, If I have two fields Car Make and Model. So if I select Car make as Toyota the model field should show Camry, Corolla etc and I select Honda as a make then model should show Civic, CRV etc.

I would appreciate if someone can guide me with the steps to achieve it. Can this achieved by using any plugin? I tried behaviors plugin but I think it doesn't with 6.2.2. Is there a step by step documentation on achieving this?

Thanks for your help!

Rama

3 answers

1 vote
Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 25, 2018
0 votes
Danish Shaikh April 3, 2018

Hi Friends,

Its 2018 now, Is there any add-in which can perform this requirement. I know about Power Custom Fields but they have limitation like it works only with Autocomplete feature and max two custom fields can be dependent, I have around 5 fields dependent on single parent.

Just wanted to know, if we have any thing else to achieve this now.

Thanks.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2018

Boris mentioned ScriptRunner four years ago.  That add-on has "behaviours" which can modify the way fields work in the client.  It can do many field connections.

Deleted user May 14, 2019

Is this possible in JIRA Cloud?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 14, 2019

No, Cloud does not support functions like Behaviours.

0 votes
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 14, 2014

You can use the built-in Cascading Select custom field type. It allows defining options just like you want. Try it out and get back if you've got troubles setting this up.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+a+Custom+Field#ConfiguringaCustomField-default_valueDefaultvalue

RamamandA April 14, 2014

Thanks Boris! I learnt something new in Jira today! But, I think this is not helping me when I elaborate my requirement further. I have defined some components in Jira. And there are 2-3 fields whose drop down value set is based on the value of Component field. Looks like with cascading there is only 1 to 1 relationship between parent value and child. I am looking for 1 to many. So based value of component (or any other field) I would like to calculate the dropdown values of child field 1, field 2 , field 3.

Thanks again for your help!

Rama

Boris Green April 14, 2014

Check if this custom field add-on will satisfy your requirements

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/net.customware.jira.plugins.mdsf

Otherwise if it's even more complicated you can probably use Script Runner's scripted field and use some funky groovy scripts to calculate the options to be shown :)

Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 14, 2014
Check if this custom field add-on will satisfy your requirements
Otherwise if it's even more complicated you can probably use Script Runner's scripted field and use some funky groovy scripts to calculate the options to be shown :)
RamamandA April 15, 2014

Thanks Boris! I think I will end up using Script Runner. Do you know if there is good (step by step ) documentation to use script runner? I found few documents but I find it difficult to follow them :(

Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2014

That's the only one I know of:

https://jamieechlin.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GRV/Script+Runner

But install it and play around in the Script console. Use the JIRA java api docs for reference and also you can always ask in this forum if you've got troubles.

Rozita Mirmotalebi September 26, 2016

Hello Ramamand and Boris,

I have similar problem, I need to create 2 custom fields with drop down dependent values. I don't want cascade field as it doesn't have the field name for the second field and plus the default value for each parent field is not changeable and it always shows none. I need to be able to change the default for each field. ex. field1:       a1,a2,a3 field2: when they choose a1 for fied1 it should show b1,b2,b3, with default value: b1 when they choose a2 for fied1 it should show b4,b5,b6, with default value: b4 when they choose a3 for fied1 it should show b7,b8,b9, with default value: b7

I was wondering if you can help me please.

Thanks!

Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 25, 2018
Like # people like this

Suggest an answer