Consolidation two Jira Instance into one Jira Instance.

krishnan November 25, 2014

What are the hurdles when consolidating two JIRA Instances into one Instance? 

How to merge the JiraAgile data from the source instance into target instance?

5 answers

1 vote
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2014

Hi Krishnan,

To merge two JIRA instances, you will have to perform a project import from the source instance to target instance. With a project import, you will have to manually create all the configurations on your target instance.

Read more about project imports at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Restoring+a+Project+from+Backup

You also have the option of using https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.projectconfigurator to simplify creating the project configuration instead of doing it manually.

JIRA Agile data is tricky. It is currently not supported. You will have to write some custom code to do this. There is a feature request that you might want to vote on https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-28748

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2014

For JIRA Agile (and for a other plugins that use AO), you will need custom scripts. We, Go2Group, have done that for a few customers. Depending on the version of the plugins, you might need some adjustments though. For example, we had to change the scripts for accommodating the new Lexo ranking in JIRA Agile!

0 votes
krishnan November 26, 2014

Sailing in the same boat looking for out for a captain.

0 votes
Andre Lehmann
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 26, 2014

Hi Krishnan,

merging two (or more) Jira-Instances into one is quite complex... We have the same problem in our environment...

Our main-problem is that both JIRA have different Fields, Worfklows, IssueTypes etc. And of course all with different IDs.

We start a project in January 2015 where we want to discuss how we will try to merge our projects. If we deceide to merge old projects to a new (clean and fresh installed) JIRA we will need help by an expert.
At Summit I talked to some of them which had solutions for exact that problem (different configurations wehre you can't use the Jira-Default Project-Import).

Kind regards and good luck for your Merge
André

Fernando Gianico March 5, 2020

Hi Andre, 

Could you please provide some more details or links to the solution proposed at the Summit.

I am preparing to merge 3 instances of Jira so any help is very welcome.

Kindly,

Fernando

Hareesh Ravula June 19, 2020

HI Andre,

Could you please share links, that will help me solve this problem well.

0 votes
krishnan November 26, 2014

Thanks Bhushan for the reply. I was just wondering if I compare source activeobjects.xml with target activeobjects.xml and copy the needed xml block from the source to target, some amount of find and replace to maintain the object relationship with projects, issues etc will work?

Suggest an answer