Configuring the "Issues in Epic" list order

Dave Anderson August 27, 2014

When viewing an Epic (https://jira.foo.com/browse/FOO-22) there is a list of linked issues "Issues in Epic". The list is ordered by Global Rank in descending order. I would like the list in ascending order, as nature intended. How can I configure this?

34 answers

43 votes
Chamilka Wijeratne February 24, 2018

Hi All,

I just found out that, if you arrange the stories or tasks of an epic in the order you want on the JIRA agile board/backlog, the tickets will be displayed in the same order under the issues in Epic view.

Hope this is helpful.

Michael Rans February 14, 2019

Thanks for this. Don't know why Atlassian don't add this facility directly to the Epic view. Please vote for this here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-40929.

Like # people like this
Lucas Stannis May 14, 2019

When I arrange it on Backlog it does not re-arrange the Epic issue list. Probably it's just possible when it's in the agile board. Gonna try that. 

Like # people like this
Bill_Tarbell June 28, 2019

Might be worth noting that the backlog reorder isn't reflected on the epic unless you reload the epic page.

Cynthia Susairaj July 18, 2019

It's also worth mentioning that the tickets in current ongoing sprint which are in the EPIC seem to sit at the bottom of the epic. So there is no way to sort the current's sprint's epic's stories.

Roger Studner September 28, 2020

As with most things Atlassian - simultaneously none and all of this is true.

I can re-arrange them in the backlog view.. but they WILL NEVER, EVER, re-arrange when opening the epic and looking at them>

Rank is enabled etc etc etc

Like # people like this
16 votes
Luisa Randon December 6, 2016

I would like to organize my issues in Epic as well. move to Top and move to bottom are not very user friendly !!!

10 votes
Andreia Fernandes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2017

Hello,

This was open in 2014, and here we are, 2017 with the same problem.

Anyone knows if this is still an open issue on Atlassian Support? Where we can vote and watch the issue.

Kathy Hart
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2018

2018, still the same issue. 

Like # people like this
Brendon Walton August 2, 2018

2020, still same issue

Like # people like this
Tim Malone August 23, 2018

😂

Like # people like this
Kacee Bui April 15, 2019
Lucas Stannis May 14, 2019

Still the same problem.

Like Kenneth Dickerson likes this
Mihai Schwarz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2019

Still here! :))

Christoph Schmidpeter July 23, 2019

I created an issue a while ago, but there was no response at all:

JSWSERVER-16151: Moving issues up and down in 'Issues in this epic'

Like # people like this
Christopher Callaway August 20, 2019

2019, can confirm same issue. 

Like Craig likes this
Alejandra Stamato August 28, 2019

Still here..

Like Jack Callaham likes this
Jaron January 24, 2020

2020 is here (and it's still here)

Like # people like this
Daniel Hong January 31, 2020

@Brendon Walton Are you the Oracle they speak of? :D

Like # people like this
Vadim Koba March 30, 2020

still here 2020

Shubham_Agarwal March 30, 2020

Go to Project -> Backlog, and you will see all your Tasks (also Bug, and Story). Rearranging the Tasks here will rearrange it in the epic as well

Like Devendra Bhatte likes this
Krzysztof Bogdan April 30, 2020

still here 2058

Like # people like this
Danny Davidson May 21, 2020

3 things worth mentioning (besides the obvious "Im wanting this functionality too")

1. either in this thread or a similar one, there is a link to the Atlassian Jira and the request for this on Jira Server (as opposed to cloud) was closed and they said not enough interest (I didn't bother reading the one for cloud, but It was still open)

2. As someone already pointed out, the "sort the backlog = sort the issues in epic" only works for things that are actually in backlog (i.e. not in an active or future sprint) which is pretty silly considering I can reorder issues in a current sprint in the backlog tab\screen

3. one thing I haven't seen mentioned that "could" be helpful for some....when you open an epic, in the "issues in Epic" section you can hover your mouse over to the far right side of each issue, and you should see a little gear icon. in that icon's drop-down I see the options "Rank to  top" and "Rank to  bottom" So while I doubt this helps most of us, for those who really only need to do this once in a blue moon, or don't have tons of stories, maybe this is a feasible workaround.

Like # people like this
Jean-Michel Bernard January 6, 2021

Hello, we're in 2021 and still not addressed :D

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-40929

Like # people like this
Barrett Cope February 4, 2021

We should openly discuss other product alternatives and perhaps that would then get their attention. There are several issues I'm watching that have been open for 6+ years and that is pretty disheartening.

Has anyone experimented with Monday or Asana and enjoyed their experience?

Like cloud-operations likes this
Nizar Hawawreh March 16, 2021

2021, March, still here

Stan Dimitrov April 30, 2021

2021, April, still here

Peter Wu May 4, 2021

2021, May the 4th be with you. 

Like Stan Dimitrov likes this
Elizabeth Hyatt June 8, 2021

Does everyone else do this?  I mean it's not as ideal as drag and drop but it works.

The RANK TO TOP and RANK TO BOTTOM will fix this.  So for example, you have the following tasks out of order:

5) Spread jelly on piece B

3) Get a plate, spoon, and knife

6) Eat PB&J

4) Spread peanut butter on piece A

1) Go grocery shopping

4) Put bread together

2) Get out bread, peanut butter, and jelly

------ Here are the steps to put them in order:

5) Spread jelly on piece B (Rank to Bottom)

6) Eat PB&J (Rank to Bottom)

4) Spread peanut butter on piece A (Rank to Top)

3) Get a plate, spoon, and knife (Rank to Top)

2) Get out bread, peanut butter, and jelly (Rank to Top)

1) Go grocery shopping (Rank to Top)

REFRESH - then all your tasks will be in order.

9 votes
Dave Anderson August 20, 2019

I’m very excited to see that this issue is coming up to five years old!

After half a decade of comments from a great bunch of people, Wilson and I have come to think of you all as our special friends.

On 27th I’ll be at the pub, in Dublin Ireland, ready to buy anyone a drink if they can figure out how to get this issue resolved.

Your friend,

Dave

Ex- Jira user

Mike Mahler January 15, 2020

LOVE IT!

Adrian Lopez February 11, 2021

this is what a feedback driven product looks like?

6 votes
Phil Volkers August 6, 2015

At least for Done/Accepted tickets, if you go outside of the Epic page, say on a Kanban or Release board, re-ranking the tickets will update the order displayed on the Epic page. Not the most efficient thing. Sorting controls would be very welcome.

Chandra Babu Merla July 3, 2020

This works, Thanks!

3 votes
Christoph Schmidpeter July 23, 2019

Please vote for the ticket I created some time ago for that issue to get it fixed (hopefully):

JSWSERVER-16151 Moving issues up and down in 'Issues in this epic'

3 votes
Alex Clatterbuck May 17, 2018

Emailed the head of product.

Honestly a head scratcher that this isn't the default experience:

- Resolved issues are move to the bottom of the list

- Open tickets are ordered by priority.  This priority is visible within the table view.

Darrell Massie July 30, 2018

Hi Alex, 

Did you get a response on this?

Another option would be to allow the order allow the order to be adjusted manually (drag and drop). Makes it a bit easier to handle depenencies etc if they exist.

Like # people like this
gabbeaudoin August 15, 2018

So much complexity for something that could follow everyone's intuition. Alex said it best.

Like # people like this
Patrick O_Connell June 3, 2020

Well, closed issues sure as hell aren't moved to the bottom! This drives me nuts with the stories in my Jira epics.

And the rank-to-bottom thing doesn't work for me. Not sure why.

Yet another example of Atlassian's attitude of "Yeah, we're just not going to do anything about that, even with so many people frustrated by it."

Your software is user-facing. You should be working actively to address their concerns.

/ rant off

Pat O'Connell
Technical Writer
MindGeek Montreal

3 votes
Svetlana Kononova December 13, 2016

Guys, this way was working for me: 

1. Create a filter like "Epic link" = XXX-1234".
  2. Make it shared with everyone.
  3. Create your own dashbord.
  4. Add here gadget "Filter Results" and specify your saved filter.
  5. For each individual issue go to properties (gear icon in the end of issue row) and click "Rank to top" starting from the less important issue (or "Rank to bottom" for the most important one).

Done.

Just enjoy the user-friendliness of it.

Tim Malone April 10, 2019

I get a ... button instead of a gear icon here, and the menu under the ... button doesn't have the 'Rank to top'/'Rank to bottom' items :( 

3 votes
Chad Cantrell November 2, 2016

+100

2 votes
Jovan Milicevic December 6, 2019

I have this issue several times so at the end here is what I do:

1. Create filter "EPIC fix" with a simple query 
    parentEpic = EPIC_TASK_ID
  2. Create a new Board EPIC fix and configure it to use "EPIC fix" filter
  3. Open Board settings
  4. In General find Ranking and Add ranking
  5. Optionally, if you have some finished tasks in Columns add also their status to column "TO DO" in order to be able to see them in the backlog
  6. Reorder tasks the way you want
  7. Reload Epic to check if everything is fine
  8. When you want to fix the next epic, just change "EPIC fix" filter to use another parent Epic id.
Dennis T November 25, 2020

I think creating a Kanban board works best for this. Make sure to clear the board sub-filter and set Hide completed issues older than to Never mind, show all though.

You might also want to exclude Sub-Tasks and the Epic itself from the board filter. E.g.,

project IN (ACM) AND parentEpic IN (ACM-100) AND key NOT IN (ACM-100) AND type NOT IN (Sub-task) ORDER BY Rank
1 vote
Mirre Snelting August 28, 2018

@Alex ClatterbuckNews on this?

Louis Guitton February 25, 2019

Hi Mirre =) 

Mirre Snelting February 25, 2019

Hahaha hey Louis! :)

Like Louis Guitton likes this
1 vote
Alex Stahlmann July 19, 2017

I am in search for an easy solution for this as well. Creating a filter for each epic just for this purpose isn't a user friendly solution imo. A 'rank +1' and 'rank-1' option would be pretty helpful already.

1 vote
Jan Anderson January 17, 2017

I added numeric labels to all of the issues under a particular epic and then displayed that column too to help get them in the right order when Ranking to Top. Not the most user friendly way of setting rank but at this point I'll use what I can. sad  Too bad this isn't a higher priority since it is such an old request and many people seem to want/need the same function.

0 votes
Mahuza Menza September 14, 2021

i am facing same problem.

0 votes
Elizabeth Hyatt June 8, 2021

Does everyone else do this?  I mean it's not as ideal as drag and drop but it works.

The RANK TO TOP and RANK TO BOTTOM will fix this.  So for example, you have the following tasks out of order:

5) Spread jelly on piece B

3) Get a plate, spoon, and knife

6) Eat PB&J

4) Spread peanut butter on piece A

1) Go grocery shopping

4) Put bread together

2) Get out bread, peanut butter, and jelly

------ Here are the steps to put them in order:

5) Spread jelly on piece B (Rank to Bottom)

6) Eat PB&J (Rank to Bottom)

4) Spread peanut butter on piece A (Rank to Top)

3) Get a plate, spoon, and knife (Rank to Top)

2) Get out bread, peanut butter, and jelly (Rank to Top)

1) Go grocery shopping (Rank to Top)

REFRESH - then all your tasks will be in order.

0 votes
Shubham_Agarwal March 16, 2020

Might be too late here, I don't think you can arrange tasks in epic from the epic page.

Go to Project -> Backlog, and you will see all your Tasks (also Bug, and Story). Rearranging the Tasks here will reflect the change on the epic page.

Alex Bernardin March 30, 2020

yeah, some folks have pointed that approach out. The jira folks probably piggybacked on the Rank field.

Epics can have tickets from different projects, that may or may not all live on a single scrum board (or may not live on a board at all), so this solution may not be viable for all situations, or might require a custom-scope board created solely to manipulate the ticket ordering for a specific epic, which is pretty tedious.   

0 votes
matthew ryan March 5, 2020

Me too!!! The strange thing is that sub-tasks can be moved in an epic but the stories/issues cannot be moved in the same way.

0 votes
nhawawreh January 20, 2020

6 years and it is still here !!

0 votes
Spiner Tsai September 23, 2019

It works for me when using Jira Cloud. Go to Project -> Backlog -> EPICS -> 

Ashampoo_Snap_Tuesday, 24 September 2019_10h56m16s_010_.png

Reorder tasks in the Backlog section.

Ashampoo_Snap_Tuesday, 24 September 2019_10h59m25s_011_.png

Michael Rans September 23, 2019

This workaround has already been suggested but apparently this does not work with the current's sprint's epic's stories. In any case, ordering issues should be directly in the Epic view and not require messing around in the backlog.

0 votes
Alejandra Stamato August 28, 2019

at least 5 years with the same issue...

0 votes
Kathy Hart
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 21, 2019

An add on like Portfolio or Structure is still the only way to see all your epics on one screen with associated Stories or Tasks sorted directly beneath the Epic, and subtasks beneath each appropriate Story or Task. 

Neither of these are free. 

0 votes
Jose Luis Casarrubias August 12, 2019

I just created an Agile Board, then I selected the Epic in the agile board, and then I just moved the issues in the epic in order I required. 

After that, I just returned and refreshed the Epic ticket main view, and the order was kept based what I did in the agile board.

0 votes
Keith Starsmeare June 30, 2017

I "fixed" my epic by listing the issues in order (I used an editor, but could easily have used a filter in another window) and then worked from last to first marking each as Rank To Top. It doesn't re-order unless you refresh, you can if you want to check progress. Tedious, but only the work of a couple of minutes.

Some of these issues have been through sprints though. I didn't spot any weird side effects from changing their ranking. I'd have hoped for a warning if what I was doing was bad...

Alex Bernardin June 30, 2017

an interesting solution. There's only one Rank field, as far as I know, so it does seem that doing 'rank to top' would impact the position of the ticket in a kanban or scrum board, which might be problematic. 

Stephanie Latterman July 25, 2017

It actually works the other way around. Ranking within the issue doesn't affect the sprint. But moving the issue in the Backlog Board to, say, the next sprint will change the order the issue appears within the epic ticket, if another issue from that epic was already assigned to that sprint!

0 votes
Steven Marusic May 17, 2017

I have this need as well. Just throwing my hat in the ring. I have found other threads here as well asking for the same thing.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-9688

As an example. 

0 votes
Keith Hudson July 18, 2016

Add a heading row above the list and provide sort capability through clicking the heading.  Lots of OpenSource JS tools to do this.  It'll allow for anyone's use case as long as the column is exposed.

I don't care about that ranking stuff, just want to sort by issue id.

Suggest an answer