Checkin Jira code base into SVN?

Brent Webster
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 20, 2011

I have a standalone Jira 4.4.3 installation running on a Ubuntu 10.04 server and I have been making numerous "hand" modifications to the Jira code base. i.e.

- alterating or creating new email templates using Velocity
- patching jsp code to apply know workarounds, etc

I also have numerous customize fields and an altered workflow through the GUI.

I know the code base is installed under /opt/atlassian/jira and there is a separate /var/atlassian/application-data/jira directory to hold "some" of the customized data but not all.

Therefore I want to checkin all appropriate parts of the Jira code base in a local svn repository so I can properly manage the customizations that I'm making to Jira.

Any recommendations, comments, concerns? Brent

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Brent Webster
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2013

In the end, created a shadow directory tree in SVN of the /opt/atlassian/jira and the /var/atlassian/ subdirectories. Then archived only the files I changed. Not the best solution but I'm keeping track of my changes.

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 20, 2011

I would follow the standard vendor branch pattern for the VCS you are using. This will make it easier to merge your changes when new versions of jira are released.

I use Mercurial for this purpose which works a lot better than svn, for one because it's fairly good at spotting moved/renamed files. However it can be done with svn.

Brent Webster
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 20, 2011

I'm quite familiar with the vendor branch pattern but I was hoping for some specifics on where customizations are stored in the Jira code base. Right now, /opt/atlassian/jira is consuming 548Mbytes and I was hoping I could optimize that a bit.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events