Changing the Default Screen Scheme on Project Creation

Kelsey Mitchell January 13, 2021

When a Jira project is created, a new screen scheme and screens are created by Jira. We'd like to edit that default so that the fields on the screens are custom to our use and the scheme is as well.

Editing it after the fact is very time consuming. Either we need to delete and add the fields to each screen. Or we need to copy each of the default screens and screen scheme and associate the project with that. We'd like it to happen on project creation, since Jira is already creating those screens by default.

1 answer

0 votes
Pavel Junek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2021

Hi,

Changing the default settings of Jira to create a new project, I think is not possible. The official statement on copying Jira projects can be found here.

But you can create a new project using "shared configuration". The documentation says:

When you are creating a new project, select Create with shared configuration to select an existing project and to use that project's schemes. Note that when you're sharing schemes, any change to the scheme will affect all the projects using that scheme.

Or you can use paid or free third party addon like:

Pavel

Kelsey Mitchell January 13, 2021

We would like a new screen scheme created that would be unique to the new project. So the "shared configuration" isn't really what we're looking for, since the scheme would be shared with whatever the existing project was.

However, we do have ScripRunner for Jira. Do you have any resources on how to clone a project or create/edit screen schemes and screens with ScriptRunner?

Pavel Junek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2021

Yes, ScriptRunner for Jira have Built-In Script  "Copy Project". Try to create a new, empty project in Jira, to which you will set the required Screens and Schemas. Leave this project blank - always use it as a template for copying / creating a new project.

Like Kelsey Mitchell likes this
Kelsey Mitchell January 18, 2021

When I copy a project it copies the screen schemes and screens. It doesn't create new ones. Do you know what setting I'm missing so it'll essentially do a deep copy of the screen schemes?

Pavel Junek
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 20, 2021

I may not fully understand your problem.

Using the Script Runner to copy a project will copy:

• Schemes
  • Role memberships
  • Custom field configurations
  • Agile boards related to the project (Optional)
  • Filters and dashboards that begin with the project key (Optional)
  • Versions (Optional)
  • Components (Optional)
  • Issues and their attachments (Optional. Components and Versions must be selected)

Pavel

Kelsey Mitchell January 20, 2021

When I used Script Runner to copy a project here is what happened:

Project Original:

• Original: Screen Scheme
    • Original Default Screen Scheme
    • Original DR Screen Scheme

Project Copy:

• Original: Screen Scheme
    • Original Default Screen Scheme
    • Original DR Screen Scheme

What I'm looking for is for Project Copy to have:

• Copy: Screen Scheme
    • Copy Default Screen Scheme
    • Copy DR Screen Scheme

So the desire is that if I change the fields, screens or screen scheme settings on "Copy Default Screen Scheme" it won't affect anything on the "Original Default Screen Scheme".

Suggest an answer