Capacity Planning

Thiago Cunha May 12, 2021

Hello everybody, hope you're doing well! 

I've been working with jira for a short time now and I really need a feature like the capacity tracker from Azure Devops. This will help me to see the allocation of hours by developer (original estimate) and how much time the really spent ( normal hours log). Do you know how can I replicate this on Jira? Captura de Tela 2021-05-12 às 11.12.36.png

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kevin Steen May 12, 2021

@Thiago Cunha I would recommend utilizing the "Advanced Roadmaps" feature from Jira.

There are a few steps you'll need to take (e.g. setting up teams and resource allocation)

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfolioserver/working-with-plans-952623578.html

Hope this helps

0 votes
Answer accepted
Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2021
Som_RVS April 4, 2024

If you are looking for a mktplace app to help you to plan the capacity for your team members and track them, you can try out the one we have developed for the same use case. 

Capacity Planner

The app allows to store the capacity for individual users and save as templates. which can be mapped to a sprint / project fix version to track the allocation and remaining time/story points per user. Do try it out.

Disclaimer : I am part of the team which developed this app

Work Distribution.PNG

0 votes
Thiago Cunha May 12, 2021

Thank you Guys! I managed to do it with this Add on : " Capacity Tracker". 

sivan kovatch October 24, 2021

Hi
I am now seeing your correspondence from May.  I was just going to ask the same exact question.  
Have you continued use of this add-on?  Are you happy with it?  I too have previously used Azure and found it user-friendly and helpful.  Can you say the same for "Capacity Tracker" or do you have other such add-ons to recommend?

I understand that Jira does not have anything for capacity built into the package?

Thanks for your input!

Sivan

Kevin Steen October 25, 2021

@sivan kovatch 

I started using Capacity Tracker after seeing this post as well. The app is pretty straight forward and gives you the option to plan for capacity based on daily hours or story points. It also provides a nice roll up into various team types (e.g. dev, test).

I think it is a good tool to use in order to make sure you are not severely over or under on capacity but i would strongly recommend having your process well established when it comes to where hours are stories (i.e. stories or subtasks) and / or making sure you are consistent on all of your stories having points. 

Another tip, once you start using the capacity tracker, make sure you are on the same Jira Board you started with. Each board can have their own "tracker"

Suggest an answer