Cannot attach video (.mov) to ticket

John Zhenghong Zhang January 8, 2020

Hi, 

I am experiencing an issue that I cannot attach a video to the ticket. 

When I create a ticket, I would like to attach an video (screen recording from macos) to the ticket. However, I was able to upload the video (attach -> upload a file), but when I select it and click "insert a file", the video shows briefly on the ticket but then disappeared with an error message: "We couldn't save your attachment, Reload the issue and try adding it again."

No matter how many times I refresh it keeps happening.

The video file I try to attach is as small as <10MB, and it could be successfully uploaded (I can see it after refresh), just cannot be attached. 

Video format is .mov.

Thank you very much!

Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 4.10.26 PM.png

5 answers

4 votes
TDM-Support February 7, 2023

The Issue still appears.

3 votes
Nehal Khare March 23, 2023

The issue is still there. 

2 votes
Cormac Egan March 10, 2023

I have been getting this issue for the last number of weeks. Its not limited to .mov as I have tried .webm and .mp4, same results, once the video appears attached, the preview does not generate and if I attempt to save a description/comment with a video attached, get the error message that my update cannot be saved.

This entirely defeats the purpose of trying to attach screen recordings to show replicated issues and share with the relevant teams

Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 16, 2023

How large are the video files?

Could be they are still processing on our backend

Matt Bordas March 24, 2023

Mine is a 161.3MB .mov file, a screen recording from macOS created with the Screenshot app.

Eric Hsu
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 14, 2023

i also just had this problem today as well, was a 134.3MB .mov file recorded from macOS with the screenshot app.

1 vote
David Martinez Lagos February 19, 2021

use the "old view" to upload, this works for me  see_old_view.png

1 vote
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 10, 2020

Hello John,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Searching using the details you provided, I found a bug that might be related, but I would like to confirm if it’s the same thing. 

The bug happens when there is a special character on the file name:

If that’s not the case, we need more details about the steps you are following.

• What is the type if the project (Software, Service Desk, Business)?
  • Is it happening on a classic or next-gen project?
  • Have you tested using another type of video? Does it work?
  • Is it happening to all users?
  • Is this happening when you try to add the attachment in the comments or only when creating tickets?
  • While adding the video, please open the developer tools on your browser to check if there is any additional error message that can help us identify what is causing the issue. 

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards,
Angélica

John Zhenghong Zhang January 14, 2020

Hi @Angélica Luz , thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately I don't think the issue is caused by special characters, as I have tried changing the characters to all lower case and it still cannot insert. The item could be uploaded, though.

1. Type of the project: Jira Software

2. Next-Gen project

3. I'll update this with you when I get another format. For now, at least  .mov is not working, but seems jpeg / png pictures and text files are working fine.

4. I cannot say, as I am a team member

5. It is happening on both circumstances, add attachment, creating tickets. It also happens when I try to comment with a video.

6. I checked developer console and it says with 400 the attachment exceeds size limit. I'll see if I could compress it and insert it.

Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 1.52.35 PM.png

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
January 15, 2020

Thank you for the test and details, John.

I tested adding a .mov video on my local site and it worked. The file had 33mb but the limit was 2gb. Then I changed the size limit for attachments and tried to add the video again and the error appeared.

Please, try to add another .mov file with 10mb or less or ask your administrator to change the size limit on Jira settings > System > Attachments.

Deleted user August 6, 2021

@Angélica Luz Sadly the issue still appears. Its always a pain to switch between versions whenever a .mov file needs to be uploaded.

Like Alex Bierling likes this
Alex Bierling November 23, 2022

The issue still appears. 

Suggest an answer