Can't delete field because of Javascript error??

Kelsey Whiting June 29, 2015

I wrote custom Javascript in the description field of my customField, but I must have had an error because when I go to screens it doesn't load past that field. The problem is it also won't load past that field on the configuration screen where I can edit the description/delete the field and I'm not sure how to get rid of it?

Please Help! Thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 29, 2015

Another very good reason for not trying to wedge javascript into JIRA.

You've got two options really.

1. Delete the field completely.  That will destroy all the data you have for issues though.  You need to know the ID of the custom field, so that you can directly paste the "delete" url for it (the delete screen does not render the description, so it should work).  You need to hit http://YourJiraBaseURL/secure/admin/DeleteCustomField!default.jspa?id=10019  , replacing my 10019 with the field ID
  2. Again, knowing the field ID, stop JIRA and run some SQL to kill off the description of the field in the database.  It should be the table Customfield, using the field ID to find the field you need to amend, and update the column description with some simple plain text.  Restart JIRA and you should be able to get back into customfield edit/update/delete

Kelsey Whiting June 29, 2015

You are a lifesaver! Number 1 is just what I was looking for :)

prajwal4u
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2016

We were worried if we have screwed the custom field screen for good and were thinking of going to backend to delete the custom field. Thank you the solution really helps 

prajwal4u
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2016

Also to get the custom field id you can simply right click on the field and say inspect in chrome. Normally you will be able to see the corrupted field in JIRA since the javascript will break edit and other functionality. 

Suggest an answer