Can Jira be configured to let multiple vendors use it without seeing each other?

John Price
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2012

We currently farm out engineering (CAD, etc.) work to a vendor and have given them JIRA logins and access to two projects. Now we want to have a second vendor, but the business wants them to:

1) Not see each others' tickets.

2) Not see each others' usernames in the Assign list.

I can solve #1 with issue-level security. Basically I have groups called "MyCorp + Vendor 1" and "MyCorp + Vendor2" and setting visibility to one or the other solves the problem. But I can't solve #2, and as a result have been asked to create two *new* Jira projects that only the second vendor sees, and our users will Move issues between projects depending on which vendor will do the work.

I hate this solution but can live with it in a two-vendor scenario, but I foresee a day with 5 vendors or more and I can't have (2 * number of vendors) projects. Is Jira the wrong solution for this usage scenario?

1 answer

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2012

You can adjust the Project roles for each of the project (per vendor) and also tune the project permissions (permission scheme) to remove unwanted groups (jira-users). This will result in one project per vendor.

If you need not show the assignee list, you could also have single project with permission to view issue only for Reporter and Assignee. But this will show the tickets created by the specific user, not for the group.

Suggest an answer