Can I restrict the people who can assign issues to a particular user?

Richard Wilkinson July 19, 2011

Is it possible to set up a user so that only users in a particular group (or similar restriction) can assign issues to the user?

I can see the "Assign Issues" and "Assignable Users" permissions, but they seem to be all or nothing.

Thanks,

Richard

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 19, 2011

You can't do this in JIRA with out some custom development.

0 votes
Catherine Porter May 29, 2012

My company is looking for something similar as well as we have multiple project teams around the world who need to able to assign issues among each other but need to be restricted as to who they can assign issues to in the broader company as we need to schedule work in and not have it directly assigned. Our previous issue management tool had the concept of assignment groups where groups could be limited to which groups they could assign to.

0 votes
J Thomas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 19, 2011

This might work if you can restrict it to particular workflows and projects:

1) Your unrestricted users could be granted 'Assign Issues' permission to let them assign to anyone using the Assign This Issue operation. Your restricted users should not have 'Assign Issues' permission for the project.

2) At the points in the workflow that your restricted users might want to assign the issue, add a transition to assign to a user via a user-picker field (or a custom user picker from group/role field if you have one). Do NOT add a condition to check for Assign Issues permission!

3) Add a validator to check the selected value in the user-picker field - if you use the Script Runner plugin the syntax if using groups would be something like:

cfValues['My Field Name'].inGroup('Restricted Assignee') == false || currentUser.inGroup('Unrestricted Assigner')

4) Add a post-function to assign to your user-picker field eg JIRA Suite Utilities 'Copy Value from Other Field'.

0 votes
Richard Wilkinson July 19, 2011

Thought not. Thanks, I will try to think of a similar way to get the same effect.

Suggest an answer