Can I limit the possible actions set in a custom workflow, depending on the user role?

Fabiana Hamada March 6, 2012

For example: I have a custom workflow in wich I defined a state “Ready for estimation”. This state is reached when I press on the action “Ready for estimation”. Can I indicate which persons have access to that option?

I have read about permission schemes and I know I can configure the permissions provided for Jira (Create issues, Edit issues, Move issues….), but, how can I configure permissions with new actions that result from a custom workflow?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2012

Just to add a reference to answer from Thomas... the details on how to add the condition to your custom workflow are here:

Applying conditions to workflow conditions:

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Workflow#ConfiguringWorkflow-Applyingconditionstotransitions

Thank you very much for your contribution!!

Best regards.

Fabiana.

1 vote
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2012

Hi Fabiana,

a workflow action can have workflow conditions. In these conditions you can say that only members of a project role or a group can execute this step.

Best regards

Thomas

Thank you very much!!

Best regards.

Fabiana.

1 vote
Maya S Chase
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2012

Good morning Fabiana. Yes, I do that kind of permission restriction all the time, but it isn't done in the permission scheme, it's done in the transition conditions. In the workflow steps (not the designer), for the transition(s) leading to "Ready for estimation", click on it to get to the View Workflow Transition screen. There you can set the condition of only a specific user, or a group of users (we use lots of user groups to control this sort of thing), "can execute this transition." For users not covered in that transition, the action button won't even show up on their screen.

Thank you very much for your detailed comment!!

Best regards.

Fabiana

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events