CVE-2022-42889

Jan Milata October 20, 2022

Hello,

I would like to ask you (in general) which applications from Atlassian platform are impacted by vulnerability CVE-2022-42889 and what is the statement from Atlassian.

Thank you a lot.

Jan

3 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 21, 2022

Ηι @Jan Milata 

Please take a look at this https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Does-Confluence-server-7-13-7-use-Apache-Commons-Text-v-1-5-1-9/qaq-p/2167474 where a member of the Atlassian team replies. Currently Atlassian is investigating.

Jan Milata October 21, 2022

Hi Alex,

Thank you. I found this discussion earlier and also regarding Bamboo (https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Bamboo-questions/Does-Atlassian-bamboo-server-7-2-4-use-Apache-Commons-Text-ver-1/qaq-p/2165500).

I am looking for statement for all Atlassian applications in general.

Jan

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 21, 2022

@Jan Milata there isn't one yet. I would suggest to watch this page https://www.atlassian.com/trust/security/advisories for any news concerning CVEs affecting Atlassian products

Like # people like this

I'm already monitoring that, but it is updated according to fixes (till August 2022 currently). Customers want to know impacts earlier than with patch.

Like el_schalo likes this
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 21, 2022
Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Thank you for the recommendation.

Viktor Hulmik
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 24, 2022

Hello @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ , I would like to ask regarding jira datacenter if the CVE-2022-42889 is affecting it. Need similar confirmation to bamboo or confluence which was given out but nothing for jira yet. Need this for our security colleagues as this is marked as a high vulnerability.

Thank you very much
Regards
Viktor

Community Leader
Community Leader
October 24, 2022
Viktor Hulmik
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 25, 2022

Thanks @[deleted] but that does not really tell me if the jira software datacenter is beeing affected and we need to hotfix something urgently...

I could not find anything in the manifest regarding the 'text' or 'common' here:

https://packages.atlassian.com/maven/repository/public/com/atlassian/jira/jira-software-application/8.20.13/jira-software-application-8.20.13.pom

But we do have the .jar file which is affected in binaries.

Will wait for additional information.

Thank you

Community Leader
Community Leader
October 25, 2022

@Viktor Hulmik you can't find anything, because Atlassian still didn't release a statement yet! How you are going to hotfix something, if you don't know that something needs to be fixed. Kindly wait for Atlassian's response.

Monty October 26, 2022

I've opened a support ticket requesting official response for Jira. What I got as a response from support was "Our security team has completed review of the vulnerability and confirmed that Jira is not vulnerable as it does not use the StringSubstitutor interpolator.".

My investigation has found that there are 4 different versions in our 8.22.6 install.
Jira Core: commons-text-1.6.jar
Atlassian Navigation Links Plugin: commons-text-1.5.jar
[Atlassian] Opensocial Plugin: commons-text-1.7.jar
Atlassian OAuth Service Provider Plugin: commons-text-1.9.jar

@atlassian- although the "calls/interops" aren't used, the vulnerable libs are still in the application and could potentially be used as an attack vector by malicious actors.

Like the Log4j CVE, this needs to be addressed and the impacted libs need to be updated to 1.10.0.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Monty November 7, 2022

Ticket has been created for tracking...

[JRASERVER-74501] Upgrade Apache Commons-text for CVE-2022-42889 - Create and track feature requests for Atlassian products.

Would suggest watching, voting, and posting all updates/questions to the above ticket. 

0 votes
el_schalo November 6, 2022

Three weeks later, I still could not find any statement from Atlassian on the CRITICAL (score 9.8!) Text4Shell vulnerability CVE-2022-42889 - especially not on Atlassian Security Board nor the Atlassian Security Advisories.
But at least the latest Jira 8 (v8.22.6) is affected: our OPS is going to shut down our JIRA instance due to findings of commons-text in the vulnerable versions 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, and 1.9!
So why doesn't Atlassian take care of this problem?

el_schalo November 6, 2022

BTW: there are only two "Jira" Jira-Issues by now - one for Bamboo, the other for Bitbucket. Both are claiming not to be affected. Still no Jira Software bug report for this issue?

Unfortunately, I can't create one on https://support.atlassian.com/ since our Jira instance is self-hosted.

Who can?!