Bulk Change Project Role Assignments

Chad Barnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2012

Is there a way to add a user to a project role across all existing projects -- in bulk? Default role memberships is a good way to be proactive but we are looking for a retroactive method.

4 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2012

JIRA Command Line Interface addProjectRoleActors action. Use runFromList or runFromSql to make is easier to all projects.

Chad Barnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 23, 2012

Thanks Bob. My assumption will be that since you put in the effort to crearte this functionality then it cannot be found as a native JIRA operation.

We utilize some of your other work. This will be helpful, too.

TJ Baker August 26, 2014

With Tempo's recent move of changing permissions schemes to add a Project Role making it ncessary to add all of our company managers manually to existing projects I found a need to search for a solutoin to do it quickly ... and here I am again finding that the only way is to pay.

Sorry Bob, nothing against you making money ... just highly against forced changes that give me more work and no solution without having to spend more money than we already are.

Like Stephen Hayden likes this
fbeck_br April 27, 2015

Just a question: The command is the following: jira --action addProjectRoleActors --project "zjiracli" --role "administrators" --userId "project-admin" If I have 2,000 projects, is there some command like this? jira --action addProjectRoleActors --project "all" --role "administrators" --userId "project-admin" or what about if I need just 1,990 projects (not all projects)?

2 votes
Answer accepted
Capi [resolution]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 8, 2018

Hi, I realize this is an old thread, what it might be worth mentioning that Profields 6.0 features Bulk Operations, a feature inspired in Jira's own bulk changes but applied to project entities.

Specifically, Bulk Operations allows adding any number of users to a role in any number of projects with just one action. 

RolesProjects2.png

See the full doc here

0 votes
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 6, 2020

I would also like some insight on this please ... I.e. we have an admin user that should by default be added to all projects automatically (with same permissions or different if possible) - even on newly created projects.

Anyone?

Ben December 3, 2020

Hi Yatish,

Requires you to know and configured your permission schemes; specifically for the permission scheme you are using for your projects.

• Set up the project roles you require with their relevant permissions to your projects
  • Setup cog > System > Project Roles
  • Select the project role in question you want to set defaults for
  • "Manage Default Members"
  • Under the section for "Default Users" add the relevant users.
0 votes
enderandpeter April 5, 2015

You can now do this for no extra charge by going to the Administration > Roles page for the project where it lists available roles. Here, you can click in the Users/Groups column to add membership to these roles for the existing project.

Capi [resolution]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 3, 2019

Just to be clear, while @enderandpeter is obviously right, the advantage of doing with with Profields' Bulk Operations is that you can add memberships for any selection of projects in one take.

In other words, you don't have to repeat the operation for every project.

(note that Spencer's comment is not a response to my answer above, as it was posted about 4 years earlier :D)

Suggest an answer