Browse project or Find Issues is incorrectly returning no results

Mary Kingston October 4, 2011

Hello

I have defined a new internal project with all the necessary configuration and all elements seem to be working satisfactorily.

However, If I click on 'Find Issues' and select that Project, it returns with 'No Matching Issues Found' even though there are 5 test issues logged against that Project.

If I specify a specific ticket e.g. OIS-5 in the 'Quick Search' window, it will return the entry.

I'm logged in as Administrator so should have sufficient rights, the 'Browse Project' permission has been assigned, I can browse the project but i'm unable to see any of the issues within it.

Is there anything else I should be checking here?

Thanks in advance

Mary

13 answers

0 votes
Jo-Anne MacLeod
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2011

If I remember my 3.13 properly, it may be something in the permission scheme. I am assuming that you are an administrator on the system. Can you make sure that Administrator has permission on ALL the various permission types? Or even (for testing purposes only), ensure that "single user" is set to you, for all the permissions. That may work.

Also, when doing a search and you select the project, there is another blue box that pops up to 'set the context' for fields to the ones specific for the project. Have you made sure that you have clicked on that? Then does your query work?

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2011

Must be a plugin or someone's hacked the source. You can try importing the backup xml into a pristine jira 3.13 instance and see if that works.

0 votes
TothJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 5, 2011

what plugins do you use? NULL VALUE BEING RETURNED ALL THE WAY ALONG!! isnt a normal jira log message for sure, must be a plugin.

0 votes
Mary Kingston October 5, 2011

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions, I did the re-index but unfortunately it doesn't appear to have helped. Should I also try a JIRA restart or is this clutching at straws? I've checked the project configuration and all seems fine but maybe there is something I have overlooked...

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 5, 2011

That exception doesn't seem relevant, no.

I would reindex and take it from there, that at least will give you the right direction to look.

"NULL VALUE BEING RETURNED ALL THE WAY ALONG" is not in the jira 3.13 source code as far as I can tell, so maybe check what plugins you have.

0 votes

OK I've done a tail on the catalina.out log and I repeated an attempted search via the 'Find Issues' link and the following was written to the catalina.out log:

No Results found
NULL VALUE BEING RETURNED ALL THE WAY ALONG!!
No Results found
NULL VALUE BEING RETURNED ALL THE WAY ALONG!!

I am seeing the following exception in both catalina.out and atlassian-jira.log - is this relevant?

$ tail -f atlassian-jira.log
2011-10-05 14:57:54,381 JiraQuartzScheduler_Worker-3 ERROR [service.services.mai
l.MailFetcherService] Exception: null
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.sun.mail.util.LineInputStream.readLine(LineInputStream.java:57)
at javax.mail.internet.InternetHeaders.load(InternetHeaders.java:120)
at com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPMessage.getHeader(IMAPMessage.java:630)
at com.atlassian.jira.service.services.mail.MailFetcherService.run(MailF
etcherService.java:160)
at com.atlassian.jira.service.JiraServiceContainerImpl.run(JiraServiceCo
ntainerImpl.java:56)
at com.atlassian.jira.service.ServiceRunner.execute(ServiceRunner.java:6
1)
at org.quartz.core.JobRunShell.run(JobRunShell.java:191)
at org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.j
ava:516)

Thanks again

Mary

0 votes
Jon Sword
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 4, 2011

Any chance there is a hidden or special character in the project name?

0 votes

Project name should be ok, 3 separate words 'Ops Information System' with a KEY of 'OIS'?

0 votes

Thanks for the tips, I haven't done a re-index so I'll try that.

Regarding the relevant log to look at, would it be the atlassian-jira.log that I need to check?

Thanks a lot

Mary

0 votes
TothJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 4, 2011

yes, or catalina.out.

0 votes
TothJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 4, 2011

what about the indexes? are they fresh? no exceptions in the log? As I know searches use the cache, while viewing a specific issue does not really.

0 votes

Thanks Eddie,

We are running JIRA 3.13. The 'Find Issues' link is on the JIRA Navigation page, I simply select the project I have defined and keep the remaining fields blank yet it still comes back with 'No matching Issues found'.

If I Browse Project, the Project Summary is blank :-(

The only element of difference with this project (i've previously defined loads of projects) is that I have nothing defined for the 'Manage Versions' element as the people who requested this project wanted a free-text 'Version' field instead but surely this shouldn't matter. I should still see issues in the Project Summary right?

Any help would be appreciated, this has me totally stumped!

Cheers

Mary

0 votes
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 4, 2011

This doesn't sound like an issue with rights or permissons, but rather filtering or searching. I say that because you can dirweclty view an issue.

Where is "find issues" that you click? Do you see issues listed in the project's summary (i.e. /jira/browse/MYPROJECT)

Suggest an answer