Better handling of HTML tables in issues created vai e-mail

Joao Marcelo Brasil December 21, 2011

Our company makes a lot of use of issue creation via e-mail (95% of our issues are created whith create or comment mail handlers for POP and IMAP accounts).

Everything works fine, but there's one big issue which has been making the company thinking about switching to RT (Request Tracker from Best Practical). I'd like to stick with JIRA, so I decided to open this ticket to see if there's any intent of solving this issue.

The issue is that whenever a service for creating issues via POP or IMAP receives an e-mail which has an HTML table, the table completele looses its formatting. Request Tracker either maintains the table formatting partially or fully. When it's maintaiend partially, the table borders are lost, but the contents of each cell are kept separated by corresponding spaces, so you get the idea of the table (please see screenshot tableWithoutBorders.jpg). When it's maintained fully, you simply see the HTML table (please see screenshot tableWithBorders.jpg).

Is there any plans to solve this issue in JIRA?

2 answers

0 votes
Joao Marcelo Brasil October 11, 2012

JEMH is too expensive. I was looking for something more affordable. Thanks for the reply anyway.

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2012

JEMH now has rudimentary table support.

Joao Marcelo Brasil October 11, 2012

JEMH is too expensive. I was looking for something more affordable. Thanks for the reply anyway.

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 11, 2012

Perspective, if you write a mail handler, how much is that going to cost you, and to maintain?

Justin Warwick August 26, 2020

Aside from "mere" spacing and styling, I have noticed that colspan attributes are also stripped out, which can affect the "meaning" of a table.

It would be nice to be able to distinguish between preserving cosmetics and preserving some of the deeper semantic/geometric layout.

Does JEMH's "rudimentary table support" address that?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events