Azure - 502 - Web server received an invalid response while acting as a gateway or proxy server.

Joakim Bergquist March 16, 2018

We have followed the documentation and the wizard regarding setting up Jira in Azure. However we get the 502 response. 

I don't have much Azure knowledge but following this guide: https://docs.microsoft.com/sv-se/azure/application-gateway/application-gateway-troubleshooting-502

Doesnt give me much help since my subscipting doesnt allow me to run these commands. 

PS C:\Console> $vnet = Get-AzureRmVirtualNetwork -Name jiravnet -ResourceGroupName IT_JIRA
Get-AzureRmVirtualNetwork : The current subscription type is not permitted to perform operations on any provider namespace. Please use a different subscription.

I also checked the Catalina conf. and this looks like this: 

<Service name="Catalina">

<Connector port="8080"

maxThreads="150"

minSpareThreads="25"

connectionTimeout="20000"

enableLookups="false"

maxHttpHeaderSize="8192"

protocol="HTTP/1.1"

useBodyEncodingForURI="true"

redirectPort="8443"

acceptCount="100"

disableUploadTimeout="true"

proxyName="jira.nibe.se"

proxyPort="80"

scheme="http"

secure="false"/>

<Engine name="Catalina"

defaultHost="localhost"

jvmRoute = "jiracluster">

<Host name="localhost" appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">

<Context path=""

docBase="${catalina.home}/atlassian-jira"

reloadable="false"

useHttpOnly="true">

<Resource name="UserTransaction"

auth="Container"

type="javax.transaction.UserTransaction"

factory="org.objectweb.jotm.UserTransactionFactory"

jotm.timeout="60"/>

Please advise... 

3 answers

0 votes
Akansha_Yadav April 30, 2020

Hey,

One day suddenly on azure app I started to get the error 502 web server received an invalid response while acting as a gateway or proxy server on azure web app.

I did too much research to solve this problem, than I contacted to the support and they given me following solution which works for me.

“Scale up the application to Medium in order to change the instance where your application is running. Wait some minutes and check again your site The above change will change the worker instance.” 

I hope this will help to solve the problem

https://dipoletechi.com/blog-post/502-web-server-received-an-invalid-response-while-acting-as-a-gateway-or-proxy-server-on-azure-web-app/

Regarding

0 votes
Gábor Simon October 24, 2018

For me the nodes could not start. The root cause was that I specified the username of the node VM as 'jira' - that conflicted with the username of the jira application linux user (also 'jira') .

0 votes
Arthur Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 1, 2018

Hi Joakim,

Which operations are returning a 502 error? This usually happens when the timeout period for the gateway exceeds. I would recommend you to check the Jira application logs to see if there are any traces of long running operations.

Hope this info helps!

Regards,
Arthur Gonçalves | Atlassian Support

Suggest an answer