Automation rule: when value change for fix version then clone issue in subtask to other story

Yentl
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 9, 2023

Hi guys,

I would like to set an automation rule for my Jira project. When a story is given a fix version I would like to automatically clone that story into a subtask to a standard story (not the parent or the trigger story). 

Background: when we release a couple of story's, the story is tested by functional management and therefore actually ends up in a new workflow (story agreed, or adjusted again by dev).

2 answers

1 vote
Thibaut Subra _Elements_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2023

Hello @Yentl 

Welcome to Community!

If I understand well, when a fix version is associated with a story, you want to copy that story and transform it into a subtask of another existing story?

Yentl
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 9, 2023

Hi Thibaut,

That's correct!

Like Collista Lewingdon likes this
Thibaut Subra _Elements_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2023

I don't think you can directly transform a story to a subtask of another story but maybe you can make it in two steps:

- First you clone your story as a subtask of the same issue when the fix version is filled/updated

- Then you move this subtask to the new story (you just have to find a trigger to identify this subtask, by adding a specific filled for instance). You can probably do it via API REST (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-22718)

Like # people like this
0 votes
Luka Hummel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 12, 2023

Hi @Yentl

I also want to welcome you to the community!

If you are willing to use third-party apps our Deep Clone for Jira app can help you to create this automation. Deep Clone can clone a source issue as a subtask for another issue.

Deep Clone for Jira_Subtask clone.png

To achieve that with a Jira Automation you can use looping transition and a Post Function Clone as described in our documentation.

Edit: I just noticed your Server tag. Unfortunately, Deep Clone isn't available for Jira Server.

Suggest an answer