Automation of jira ticket creation process

Deleted user June 24, 2021

Hello,

My requirement is automation of the JIRA ticket creation process by importing data from an external source as well as searching the database to assert the presence of an existing issue.

Can I get suggestions on how do I achieve this automation?

I am aware that this can made possible using the JIRA Automation tool, but I would like to know any alternatives to this if possible.

Thank you in advance.

2 answers

1 vote
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 24, 2021

Hi Mandar,

I am not sure that using Automation for Jira is really what you want in this case.  While it is true that this app can help you to automate the process of doing all kinds of actions in Jira, including creating issues, your situation sounds different here.

Since you have an external source of data, this seems more like a CSV import or JSON import to Jira.  But these data import processes are not easily automated within Jira or by using the Automation for Jira app.

Could you let me know more about your external data source here?  I'm curious if there might already exist a better solution that would suit your needs here.  I know that our Marketplace has a number of similar solutions that provide for some level of syncing Jira issue data between different locations (like a different Jira site, or even other products in some cases).  A search for these that apply to Jira Server can be found in a query such as https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?hosting=server&product=jira&query=sync

Curious to learn more here.

Andy

Deleted user June 24, 2021

Hello Andy,

Thank you for the answer provided.

For further clarification please refer to the screenshot attached. As seen, there are many fields to be inputted to create a ticket. Some of these fields are unique to each ticket while others are common to a bunch of issues present in a test suite. For example, Summary and Priority is unique to individual issues and has to be imported from either an CSV/excel sheet or from and HTML report while other fields such as components, Environment, Description, etc might be common to a bunch of issues. 

To be specific my test suite has around 100-150 issues to be created. The automation should be flexible enough to pick up the required details from an external data source as mentioned above and use a standard set of data provided to fill out the common fields. 

Can you please suggest some ways to achieve the required automation.

Thank you.

JIRA_Capture.PNG

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 25, 2021

Hi Mandar,

Since it looks like you are using some kind of test suite and want to be able create those tests as issues in Jira, it might help to take a look at this kb: Using JIRA Software for Test Case Management 

There are several 3rd party apps for Jira Cloud and Jira Server/Data Center that can make these kinds of issues within Jira much easier to manage.  You can find many of these over in Atlassian Marketplace - Test management.  

Let me know if this helps.

Andy

0 votes
Deleted user June 27, 2021

Hello Andy,

The suggestions provided are highly appreciated.

I will look into those and analyze if they can helpful. 

This is to enquire if using web-automation by python scripting is acceptable as a means to achieve the required automation.

Kindly let me know about the same.

Mandar

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
June 28, 2021

Yes, it is possible that you could be using a scripting language like python to create issues in Jira.  I would expect though that the python would be making REST API calls to manage this, see Jira Cloud REST API reference.

You can also see that on specific endpoints such as POST /rest/api/3/issue we have a tab that can show examples in different coding languages.  There are examples there including python.

Like Muralidharan Nagarajan likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events