Automatically close Parent Issue when ALL Sub-tasks are closed

Christina King May 2, 2023

I am trying to set up an automation to keep parent issue open and then once all sub tasks are done to update the parent issue to done.  In the same breath, I want to be able to mark a parent ticket to done and also update the sub tasks to done as well. I can't seem to find a way to make this happen for both scenarios at the same time. Attached is the first part. closing sub tasks to automate the parent ticket to close once all sub tasks are closed.

2023-05-02_16-09-28.jpg

1 answer

1 vote
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2023

Hi @Christina King,

I am not sure what you mean when you say you want to make both scenarios happen at the same time. You will basically need two rules:

• one to close all sub-tasks when you mark a parent as done;
  • one (like the rule you have in your screenshot) to close the parent when all sub-tasks are done.

For the second rule, you are almost there, but you have a strange combination of conditions in your rule at first sight. You should eliminate the second condition in your For Parent branch that says status equals done. You only want the rule to trigger when status does not equal Done AND all sub-tasks match status equals done. With that change, this rule should close the parent issue when all sub-tasks are done.

For the other scenario, create a different rule with the following components:

• Trigger: when issue transitioned to Done 
  • Condition: issue type does not equal sub-task (or list the issue types that you use as parents)
  • Branch: for sub-tasks
  • Condition: status (of sub-tasks) does not equal Done
  • Action: transition the issue to Done

Hope this helps!

Christina King May 3, 2023

Hi @Walter Buggenhout , thank you for responding. I did what you suggested for the second rule, see below, but it still does not close out the parent when I mark the sub-tasks as done.  Any other thoughts or suggestions?  I really appreciate it. :)

2023-05-03_09-45-18.jpg

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2023

Hi @Christina King,

Can you check the audit log of your automation rule and see what it says there.  

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2023

If you click show more next to the no actions performed@Christina King,  you will see more details. That means that the issue you are trying to update does not meet one or more of the criteria you specified in your automation rule's conditions.

Looking into those details should tell you what is happening there and may unveil next steps you need to take.

Thank you @Walter Buggenhout I will play around a bit. I may need your help later :)  Thank you again.

@Walter Buggenhout  Hello.. I think the issue i'm having is i'm closing out "linked" tickets not sub tasks, but I don't see an option for linked tickets.

2023-05-03_11-12-38.jpg

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events