Auto fill description in Story issue with project automation

Ferry Wardenier November 18, 2022

I've created an automation rule to add a description to a story issue type.

Tested the automation and it works. 

Now the issue is that when I create a new issue. The description isn't filled in the form. Only after the creation of the issue the description field is filled in. If you fill some information in the description field during the issue creation form, then it's overwritten by the automation.

I would like to have one of the following: 

1. The automation starts when the form is opened, so the description field is filled in when the issue form is opened 

OR

2. The automated information in the issue form is added to the information from the form

2 answers

4 votes
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2022

Hi @Ferry Wardenier - This is a common question.  Unfortunately, automation doesn't provide a "pre create trigger" and the Description field cannot be natively set with a default value.  You may be able to accomplish this with a marketplace app or you could try this as a workaround:

• Create a "Create Description" custom field.  As a custom field, you can set a default value.  
  • Replace the Description field with the new custom field on your story Create screen
  • Create automation triggered on issue creation that copies the new custom field to the Description
2 votes
Paul O
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2022

@Mark Segall is correct in what he says.

For:

2. The automated information in the issue form is added to the information from the form

You can always add

{{issue.description}}

to your automation so that any text added by the user maintained along with the description you wish to add.  

A good use-case I've seen is for teams to append a standard definition of done for stories.  The user types the story details in the description and automation adds a checklist of standard checks to be done 

DG February 19, 2023

@Paul O 

Thank you for this good option :-)

What ever I try, my automation overwrites the description from the custom.

However, I don't want to overwrite the previously entered information, I want to add as a extend with the copied information from the custom field.

Paul O
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2023

Can you provide a little detail on what you are trying to do? Could you provide a screenshot of your automation?

My suggestion is for posting the contents of the description field entered by the user and then extending it with additional text contained in the automation, but it looks like you are using custom fields and extending them?

DG February 20, 2023

@Paul O 

I would like an automation rule during the workflow to complete the description field with additional informations.

I have done the following steps:

1. create a new custom field
2. prefilled with wiki renderer
3. set default value

Now the table should be written additionally into the description field, the existing  information should not be overwritten.

In my case: the automation overwrite the description field. 

Paul O
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 20, 2023

OK, if you simply want to add additional information, you can do this without creating a field - simply add the additional information when you edit the description field as shown below

Screenshot 2023-02-20 at 10.26.40.png

If you want to add the data from the custom field called 'My custom field', your automation would be more like the screenshot below.

Screenshot 2023-02-20 at 10.29.58.png

In both versions of the rule the description field is appended and not overwritten.

Hope that helps

DG February 20, 2023

@Paul O I was trying like this

netstat.png

But this doesn't works.

The condition is fine, it's a jql before.

Paul O
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 20, 2023

{{issue.cf11000}} looks odd to me.  I think it should be {{issue.customfield_11000}}

DG February 20, 2023

@Paul O the customfield looks in the configuration URL 

netstat.png

I try it with  {{issue.customfield_11000}} and  but it doesn't works.

netstat.png

DG February 20, 2023

@Paul O it works, I was wondering because the jql with the condition before was the cause. I changed the trigger for "field changed" and now its works.

Many thanks!

Suggest an answer