Attachment files suddenly became unavailable. What's causing this?

Daisuke Niwa May 23, 2012

Hi there,

One of our customers is using very old version of JIRA.

They reported that suddenly attachment files (to JIRA issues) became unavilable from issue screen.

What is causing this problem? If anyone has a clue, please let us know.

Regards,

Daisuke Niwa

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
parthiban subramaniam
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2012

Not much has changed in the way attachments are stored and configured in JIRA.

I can only think of these reasons

Attachments are switched off or JIRA does not have permissions to the filesystem where this is stored.

Check those conditions and see if something has gone wrong there.

If this is not a system wide issue and at project level check the project permissions.

Thank you for your comment. The thing is, only some of attachments are unavailable. Others are fine. Can a permission issue cause such problem?

parthiban subramaniam
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2012

You can control, who can delete and create but as long as you are able to view the issues you should be able to see the attachments.

are they able to see these issues?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2012

Yes - check the Operating System permissions on the files (and, of course, the directories they are in). If the ownership or permissions on those have been changed, it could be that the changes have meant the user running Jira can't read them any more (by "user running Jira", I mean the user account the service is running as, not the humans logging into it)

Daisuke Niwa May 24, 2012

Nic, Parthis,

Thank you for your respective response.

We will check with the customer whether this is the case actually.

Let me close the ticket for now.

Again, thank you for your assistance.

Regards,

Daisuke Niwa

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2012

Hi,

we had some problems with attachments having german "umlauts" in its name after a change of the OS Version. Just a hint, I don't know, if you have something like this in your environment.

Best regards

Thomas

0 votes

It's 3.11.

I know it's EOLed long time ago but this customer is unable to upgrade JIRA quickly.

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 23, 2012

Which Jira version is having this issue?

Suggest an answer