Assigning to group in post function of jira workflow

sap
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2013

Hi,

We have a requirement where on creating a ticket it should get assigned to a particular group.I have created a group for this.But i am unable to assign it in the post function as there is no such option.Does anyone have any ideas?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2013

as already mentioned above...in jira you can't assign an issue to a group.

what about defining working groups in custom_fields instead?

you could add conditions/validators to allow only users that are in those groups to be assignable or start certrain transitions

see renjith's link for ideas

sap
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 23, 2013

Sorry..forgot to update.This is done.

I activated one of the components in a plugin and got an option assign to lead/component developer.Using it solved my issue.Thanks all.

Shivani Satwani October 26, 2018

can i know how you did this ?

thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 26, 2018

As Sap said, via an add-on - JMWE has this if I remember right, but there are others that can do it.

1 vote
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 10, 2013

There is nothing called assigning to a group in JIRA. JIRA can have only a single assignee. There are workarounds though, search this site for that.

But for your question, you can use the Update Custom Field workflow post condition from JIRA Suite Utilities

https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=310378700

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 10, 2013

That is what I said the answer that JIRA does not support assigning to mutiple people - Read the below link for details https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/How+do+I+assign+issues+to+multiple+users

sap
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 10, 2013

The issue is say there is a group "Guy".A,B ,C etc can be part of this group.An issue created should get assigned to this group and not to a particular guy in that group.

Alexey Paveliev
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 10, 2013

You can neither assign issue to a group in Jira UI nor in workflow.

You can create a dummy user with group mail list as email address

sap
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 10, 2013

ok renjith.I get that.What i intended to achieve is like this.

When anyone creates an issue in a Project "A" which has a project "B" as the component and saves the issue,it should get assigned to that lead X.Now this project A has a lot of components and their respective leads.Now these leads are part of a group as i mentioned above.Thats why i was trying to find a way out to assign to groups.However as that is not possible i am at a loss.Does anyone have any ideas?

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 10, 2013

Did you read the link above?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2013

+1 for Renjith's link - your requirement can be (almost) met by some of the tricks in that linked page.

Suggest an answer